Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
jonmoss
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Stopping automatic device application updates

I am running BlackBerry desktop manager version 4.7 and whenever I go to synchronise I get an automated routine of checking for device application updates, which takes 10 seconds or so. Its irritating in that it shows me device application updates that I either already have or don't want and I have to go through the routine every time. Is there a way of stopping it doing this automatically and only checking for updates when I want to? Thanks, Jon.
Super Contributor
JerryD
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

Re: Stopping automatic device application updates

• Go into the Control Panel and select Add/Remove Programs, then select BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.7, and click the [Change/Remove] button.
  • On the next screen, Modify should already be selected - select it if it isn't, and click [Next].
  • On the next screen click the Down Arrow to the right of BlackBerry Automatic Update and select This Feature Will Not Be Available from the drop down list.  A red X should now appear to the left of the option. Click [Next].
  • The appropriate Integration Option should already be selected. Depending on your choice, there may be one or two screens that follow. Just click [Next] until you get to the window titled Installation Options.
  • Uncheck the box to the left of Check for software updates and click [Install].

This should stop Desktop Manager from connecting to the Internet to get the latest Vendor.xml which also prevents you from being able to install another carrier's OS onto your device.

One note.  I haven't looked at this lately, but in the past attempting to modify an installation of Desktop Manager can often fail.  This is because if you installed by simply running the EXE you download from the BlackBerry site, it actually extracts to your Temp directory, and installs from there.  The MSI file needed to allow changes in the installation is supposed to be copied to another location - typically in a directory under Windows or Program Files, but older versions did not do this, so when you went to make a change in the installation, if the file was deleted from your Temp directory, it would stop and ask for the MSI file and not be able to proceed until you point to it.

However, the EXE you download is really just a self extracting Zip file, and can be easily extracted with WinZip or any other typical un-archiving utility.  Whenever I install Desktop Manager, I first extract the EXE to a permanent location, and then run BlackBerrySetup.exe.  This means the MSI will always be available when I need to modify the installation (which I do surprisingly often since I also support BlackBerries at work).  Typically this isn't a problem with regular users which is probably why the problem was never fixed (at least as late as version 4.5 anyway).

Jerry
New Contributor
jonmoss

it worked - thankyou !
New Contributor
david3721

Hello JerryD,

Do you know how to modify the msi to disable or prevent Automatic updates, Check for Updates and BlackBerry Media Sync from installing?

stellacarr

Hi there

Have you had any instances where this doesn't work?  I've done what you suggest (3 times over!) and although I now have the red cross in the right place DTM still checks for updates whenever I connect the phone.  I followed your instructions to the letter, including unzipping the install set to a permanent location before doing the install.  I've also done it on a second pc and got exactly the same result.

Cheers

Stella

sandibhatt

I tried the disable thing from "add remove programs" 3 times and it did not work. Then I deleted the vendor.xml located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and it worked...
Contributor
maryjaneb
My Device: 8220 Smartphone

This worked at first but now the automatic updates are running again (with no Scandanavian offers at any rate). My issue is the same as Stellas.