Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Developer
sg68
My Device: Not Specified

Stopwatch / timer

Does anyone know of a free (not trial) stopwatch / timer program for the 8300?
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: Stopwatch / timer

Navigate directly from your Blackberry Curve device Browser the following address:

http://www.tevero.no/espace/stopwatch/stopwatch11midp2.jar

And install this free stopwatch application from Tevero

Developer
sg68

[ Edited ]
That works fine as a stopwatch. thanks. What about a countdown timer? Any ideas?
Message Edited by sg68 on 02-07-2009 08:54 AM
New Contributor
jswills

Hey, I just d/l'd this app and IT'S GR8!  At least when I figured out which keys did what on my new Tour.  However, does anyone know if there is a way to save the Split/Lap times to a file?

Thanks,

Steve in Memphis

ted323

Yes, I was looking for the same applicaiton. I'm surprised RIM failed to include a quick alarm function as it seems quite elementary to me. Anyway, I need it desperately for my job, and eventually found this one. It's only installable OTA, but that only seems to make it more convenient. Here's the webpage describing it and the OTA link to direct your mobile browser to. Hope it helps!

http://www.berryreview.com/2007/07/13/review-free-chronograph-timer-for-blackberry/

New Contributor
jswills

[ Edited ]

ted323, you are right, that is a super-fine app', too.  It does the copy-n-paste of the lap/split data for saving, but it only runs one stopwatch at a time.  The "Stopwatch" app will run 6 at a time (I think) and save multiple laps/splits per timer instance.  Of course, the inability to copy-n-paste is why I posted my message.

If these 2 could be hybridized, man, oh manoschevitz, every running coach around the world would be hittin' the line to get a new BB (or other java-enabled device) and they'd be willing to pay for it.  That can be construed as a "Hint, hint ..." from the market.

In the meantime, I have begun testing various means/apps for screen-capture.  I would be sufficiently happy to have a bitmap, even if it means I have to re-key some data.  My equally important needs are:

1. To run multiple stopwatches simultaneously
  2. Capture 16-or-so lap/split times per stopwatch
  3. Save these data in some fashion
  4. (Lather, rinse and) Repeat

I can report back on the screen-capture results, if anyone is interested.

Steve in Memphis

Message Edited by jswills on 08-06-2009 03:30 PM
Message Edited by jswills on 08-06-2009 03:31 PM
robertloweth

You might try the following links. It's a stopwatch and countdown timer. Pretty simple.

www.michaelportfolio.com/chrono/chrono.jad

http://www.berryreview.com/2007/07/13/review-free-chronograph-timer-for-blackberry/

New Contributor
jswills

[ Edited ]

Yep', I have that one, too.  In many ways, "Chronograph" is the functional equivalent of "Stopwatch", with one exception that can be critical to a Volunteer/Parent Coach of Cross Country/Track.  Unless I'm missing something "Chronograph" can cannot run multiple stopwatches independently and simultaneously, whereas, "Stopwatch" can.  From a running/results perspective, that means you can do a wave/staged/staggered start and still keep an accurate elapsed time for runners in each group, without any extra math.

Actually, I used "Chronograph"yesterday evening when I time-trialed some of my Middle School XC runners.

Anyway, I can do this for myself on the PC, but my depth at BB app-dev' could only be described - with any credibility - as being veneer thin, at best.

I should add that I tracked down Kristian Otnes, the author of "Stopwatch" and he has been as nice as one could ask.  He has tested screen-grabbing on his Symbian with success and I trust that he understands in great depth the Java-side of this.  However, there appears to be something in RIM's architecture/implementation that makes it problematic on the BB for this app'. 

That's not a shot at RIM.  It's just a SWAG based on observation and thought.  Sometimes that's just the way it is.

Steve in Memphis

Message Edited by jswills on 09-03-2009 08:30 PM
Developer
precisionpete

We recently release ProTimer Stopwatch for Blackberry. It's not free but it's cheap and has functionality well beyoind the free lternatives. It's available through App World:

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/19464?lang=en