Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Forums Advisor III
lorriem1222
My Device: AT&T BOLD OS 4.6.0.167

Switching sim cards to download apps.

My dad and I both have 8310's with AT&T. I have the unlimted data and he does not. My question is, if I put my sim card in his phone and used the browser to my hearts content would he be charged because it is his phone or will it be incurred on my bill because it's my sim card? My next question is this. If I download an app on his phone with my sim card in it, the app would still be there when his card is put back in, right? From what I gather my sim card doesn't know what phone it's in. So I think I should technically be able to put my sim card in my dad's phone and download apps without him ever being charged for data. But now that I think about it, don't most apps use data to run? If my question is too confusing please don't hesitate to ask me to explain further.
~Lorrie~ Master of All Things Blackberry!
Forums Advisor III
bumblepie
My Device: 8110, 8300, 8800, 8700, 9000

Re: Switching sim cards to download apps.

You are right Lorrie, the charges are incurred on the Sim card in the device at the time, hence if you have unlimited Data, you won't be charged.

Downloading an App though then putting his sim back in can cause a few different issues.

1. if the app requires the DATA network to be enabled on the SIM, it may not work.

2. If the app does work, it may use the data behind the scences, and not being on an unlimited plan, he may reach his excess and thus be charged.

Best to put him on an unlimited plan if using a blackberry.

Hope that helps.

:womanhappy:

***************************************************************************************************
If your issue is resolved, put a checkmark in the green box that contains the resolution.
OR
If it was just/or also really helpful - Give it a Kudos.. Go on Mate.. Help the rest of the clueless blackberry user world find their answer too..
~Gday from Down Under~
Forums Advisor III
lorriem1222
My Device: AT&T BOLD OS 4.6.0.167

Thank you so much for the help. Now I have a another question. I know that there are apps that obviously use data such as push weather. But is there a way to see if an app uses data? Like say I had a game and everytime I played a game it sent my high score to it's website. Is there a way I could tell this?
~Lorrie~ Master of All Things Blackberry!
Forums Advisor III
bumblepie
My Device: 8110, 8300, 8800, 8700, 9000

[ Edited ]

It's very hard to tell.

rule of thumb is if its an app made for blackberry, then yes it will use data in some way. Best thing to do is get an unlimited plan..

:womanvery-happy:

Message Edited by bumblepie on 08-07-2008 06:44 AM
***************************************************************************************************
If your issue is resolved, put a checkmark in the green box that contains the resolution.
OR
If it was just/or also really helpful - Give it a Kudos.. Go on Mate.. Help the rest of the clueless blackberry user world find their answer too..
~Gday from Down Under~
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Bumblepie,

If you were to turn data services off, wouldn't you be able to tell if the add needed data? Wouldn't it request a connection?

Just a thought

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Bifocals wrote:

Bumblepie,

If you were to turn data services off, wouldn't you be able to tell if the add needed data? Wouldn't it request a connection?

Just a thought

you can't because data can go through Wi-Fi (non-charged use), EDGE (pay per data volume), GPRS (pay per data volume) ) and... GSM (pay per time of use). Basically, on a Blackberry, you can choose if radio network is on or off, including all three EDGE, GRPS, GSM. You can't select one or two in the three.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: