Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
chelle331
My Device: 8330 Verizon Curve

Sync Issues

I have am 8330 Blackberry Curve with Verizon, running BB Desktop Manager version 4.3.0.17 which is enabled to run on startup.  I have Windows XP.

The only way my phone sync's with my computer is when I actually open up the desktop manager program.  IT does not sync when I connect my phone to the computer.  I have checked the sync setup and it is configured to run when connected.  Isn't the phone supposed to sync automatically when it is first connected to the computer?  Help is greatly appreciated!

New Developer
New Developer
vlw
My Device: 8330

Re: Sync Issues

Yes, the Desktop Manager will sync the Calendar, Contacts and Notes and Tasks when connected. When you click the Synchronize option on the main screen, does the dialog have these items checked ?

DesktopManagerSyncSetup

It might be the checkbox at the bottom that isnt checked.

Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800

No for having a sync you need to open Desktop Manager application.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Developer
New Developer
vlw

I just did a quick test ---

• I minimized the Desktop Manager. It was running as an icon.
  • I deleted a few contacts from the address book
  • I plugged in the device
  • The Desktop Manager automatically started synching and quickly prompted to accept the deletions.

Thus, the desktop manager does not need to be visible. It just needs to be enabled to run at startup (which was stated that was already configured)

New Contributor
chelle331

Yes, I have the options checked that you suggested.  Any other ideas?
New Developer
New Developer
vlw

Do you see any activity on the Desktop Manager icon when you plug in the device ?
New Contributor
chelle331

The Desktop Manager does not appear to be running in the background.  I have to actually open the Desktop Manager from the desktop icon. 

I do have a Blackberry Device Manager 4.3.0.7 that stays running at all times and has an icon on the taskbar.  I don't see what the purpose of this is.  It is different from the Desktop Manager when I click on the icon and open it.

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

Hi,

This article may explain the problem:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB10595&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

Also there are two processes that have to run for the program to recognize the BB device and facillitate the connection. RIMdevicemanager.exe and BBdevMrg.exe.

I have read in multiple posts that antivirus programs and firewall issues can interfere with these processes.

Please let me know if the information helped.

Thanks,

Message Edited by Bifocals on 09-25-2008 10:48 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Developer
New Developer
vlw

Please try this:

1. Start the Desktop Manager with the USB disconnected
  2. Minimize the Desktop Manager to run in the task bar
  3. Plug in the USB
  4. Does it appear to sync? (Activity on the handheld )
New Contributor
chelle331

RIMdevicemanager.exe is showing as startup item.  

BBdevMrg.exe is not; it is not listed at all.  I have the box ticked for the desktop manager to synchronize the items when device is connected.

I have no problem with sync if I keep the deaktop manager program open.  It will sync when I open the program and keep everything up to date, but I shouldn't have to actually open the program for it to do this, correct?