Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

Synchonizing Photos - No Photos Found

I have BB Desktop Software V5 Bundle 1626 and have been unable for the last 2 versions to synchonize my photos from either device memory or the memory card. When I click on Media Sync/Pictures it doesn't show any photos at all. I read that it is suggested to go back to the version that used Roxio but that version always crashed my computer so that's not an option for me. How do I get my photos from my bb to my laptop? I certainly don't want to have to email them all. Thank you.

New Contributor

Re: Synchronizing Photos - No Photos Found

Well, thanks to persistent research (and a lot of frustration) I found the solution to my own problem.

It all has to do with encryption of the picture files. When encryption is turned on, the picture files will have the extension jpeg.rem. These files cannot be synchronized by BB Desktop Manager. They won't even show up in the synchronize window.

How do you turn encryption on/off?

Unlike is written in the Curve 8900 Help file, the encryption option is not under Options/Memory but rather under Options/Security Options.

Once under Security options you can enable/disable Encryption for both the Media Card and the Device Memory.

You still can't see the photos in BB Desktop Manager after disabling encryption?

That's because turning off the encryption does not remove the rem extension from the photos that were taken while the encryption was on. Only photos you take after the encryption was turned off will be able to be synchronized through the manager.

So how do you get the encrypted files to your computer?

Email, my friends. It's the only way. Sorry. (I'm not looking forward to that task)

New Contributor

Re: Synchronizing Photos - No Photos Found

I just discoverd another way that you can remove the rem extension besides emailing the photos to yourself. Under the picture folder, create a new folder. Then move each picture with the rem extension to the new folder.

I have yet to discover a way to do a "bulk" move but if I find it, I'll let you know.