Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
AnneBeaton
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: Talk Mobile

Text messages

Hi - can anyone tell me how to get the little R on text messages to indicate that the person has read your text.  I already have the little D on messages to show that the message has been delivered.  Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Text messages

Hi there,

If you're talking about BBM, it should happen automatically once the other party reads the message. If you're talking about SMS text messaging, that doesn't work due to limitations on how texting (SMS) works.

Again, if you're talking about BBM, can you confirm that the other party actually received your messages?

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AnneBeaton

But the D works - just not hte R.  How is this?

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

I'm assuming this is for BBM, right? If so, then it should mean that the other user hasn't read the BBM messages yet. Does this happen for all users? And can you confirm that the other party has read the messages?

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AnneBeaton

No it is not BBM. It is SMS I.e. text messaging. Thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

Hi Anne,

Sorry for the delay responding. If you're referring to SMS, then the SMS service does not get information back from the other side to confirm if the message has been read. It can only state that it's been delivered from your phone to the network.

Unfortunately, this is a limitation of SMS technology, so there will be no way to get an R to indicate a text message has been read. Only apps that use data like BBM or Whatsapp have this ability.

I hope this info helps!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AnneBeaton

ThisThanks this is very helpful. Thanks very much for your help.

Please use plain text.