Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
Adoannie
My Device: Curve 8330 Alltel 4.3.0.12
Accepted Solution

Trackball issue - won't scroll up

I read through 3 pages of "trackball" posts on this forum and have tried everything suggested to fix my trackball except taking the trackball out.  I can scroll down and side to side, but not up.  I have pressed firmly IN the direction it needs to go, but nothing.  I have rubbed firmly against jeans to hopefully get dust off or out with no results.

Anyone have any other suggestion short of taking it apart or taking it back to store?  I've had it a few months now, bought off of Ebay, but insured under my carrier.  And if I take it apart, what are the odds of that being successful?  That's a bit scary to me. Don't want to ruin an expensive phone.

Thanks.  And doesn't this always happen at such a timely manner....right before holidays when I really need to stay in touch and send and receive messages!  Oh well, let me be grateful I can still use it to call. :-)

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
bbhorrigan
My Device: 8900

Re: Trackball issue - won't scroll up

Have you tried taking a can of air to the track ball?

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,893
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Pressing firmly and rolling in the direction it does not want to go usually does it 95% of time.

Likely you have some good link and dust in there.

Get an alcohol wipe (NOT a soapy one) like for eye glass lens, and rub the ball well, moving it around and see if that will help dislodge it any. You might even dip a QTip in alcohol SLIGHTLY wet (NO drips) and dab it on the trackball and turn it. 

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
JRomulus
My Device: Not Specified

Advice above worked.

I used the eyeglass cleaner stuff and a papertowel.

Locked the BB so I could really move it every which way very fast while wiping it.

Finally, when I unlocked the BB, it worked.

Very nice.

It had originally happened after I upgraded Navigator, so I initially thought the upgrade did it.  But it must have been dirty.  Been using it heavily since I bought in on November 6, so it took about 6 weeks for it to foul.

Thanks for the help!

Please use plain text.
rws70

Hi, I support over 30 blackberry's at my company and the trackball is the first thing to wear out.

I finally discovered this place www.blackberrytrackballs.com

They sell new replacement trackballs for $13 and it comes with instructions.

Very easy to replace.   One of my best finds in 2008.  Has saved us ton's of money in replacements.

You can go to Google video and search for blackberry trackball replacement to see how easy it is done.

Cheers

rws70

Please use plain text.
daverush

"dip a QTip in alcohol SLIGHTLY wet (NO drips) and dab it on the trackball and turn it."

That did it for me and it was fixed in seconds. thanks for the advice.

Please use plain text.
src
src

I had a similar issue -only difference was it was not scrolling down !

Remedy was same - lens cleaner solution dabbed in tissue and it worked in seconds .Thank you for the suggestion !

Please use plain text.
Developer
sg68

[ Edited ]
Many thanks for that. Its freed of. Still sticks every now and then but at least its moving.
Message Edited by sg68 on 02-09-2009 04:46 AM
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
JerryD
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

On both my 8800 and my wife's 8300, the can of air trick worked for a while, but eventually even that failed and I had to replace the trackball.

I found them for as much as $45 each, but finally found a nice cheap, although SLOW, place here.  They have a trackball assembly for $9!  Of course it's about $10-$15 for shipping, but still significantly cheaper than any place else I found - in fact I bought THREE so they ended up costing less than $15 each.

The trackball is easy to replace - just gently pry the ring up and it will pop out.  Not as easy on my Bold which is starting to have the same problem!

Jerry
Please use plain text.
Visitor
sheiladderr
My Device: flip 8220

So glad I found this! My trackball wouldn't scroll down and my service provider was sending me a "like new" phone.  THEN I find this forum and see what you all did to fix the problem and IT WORKED!  WOO HOO!  Thanks everyone for having the same problem! LOL!
Please use plain text.