Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: VirginMedia

Re: Trackpad freezes BB 8520

I found this whole site quite by chance when about 2 weeks ago, my BlackBerry 8520 froze for the first time.  Only for a few minutes, but it was only the start of what was to come.  Now more or less every time I get a text, it will freeze when I try to open a text message.  I also get alerts of new emails from my Hotmail account delivered to my phone - same thing happens here also.

I've already had to send my BlackBerry back once; screen failure or something (no I haven't dropped it) and I'd rather not have to go through all that again as Customer Services are not easy to get a hold of. 

I will bear in mind putting some pressure on the metal cover behind the trackpad for future freezes though.  Thank you for that idea.  Is it just a case that the contacts for the track pad sensor aren't durable enough for the wear and tear they are subdued to?

I will be watching this thread with avid interest, hopefully somewhere along the way it will be solved!  I didn't want a track-ball as I've heard too many horror stories about them falling out!

Best regards

Gavin

Contributor

I will try my luck in reporting the trackpad problem with Virginmedia today. Perhaps a wasted effort but worth an attempt. I will post if I get any result. Best regards Gavin
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: T-Mobile

So I am haveing the same problem have tried all suggestions and even ordered a new pad and still will not work. I know the RIM is aware of this issue no matter how much they say they dont, google it the problem is everywhere, I am not getting anywhere with this, the phone is less than a year old. this started a week ago for me. It was just in my pocket.... took it out to start my pandora and then nothing got it to start working after several thing tried. then it quit agian and NOTHING is working to fix it now. This was my first BB, it will be my last. If the company wants to ignore hundreds if not thousands of thier customers then i want nothing to do with the company. I am at wits end here.. I know this is the intro low end model for BB but this s a fundamental part of the phone! I knew i should have gone with a Samsung, i have never had problems out of any that i have had, and i have had a cell since 1998....

Contributor

Went into my mobile carrier's shop today and told them about an issue with the Curve's trackpad; plus the fact it seems to be a wide-spread problem. I was advised that since this sounds like a manufacturing issue, to get in touch with BlackBerry direct. Hopefully this will be easier to do than with most large companies these days! Has anyone already tried going down this route and what were the results if any?
My Device: Not Specified

GET A BUSINESS CARD N STICK IT IN THE LIL GAP BETWEEN THE SIDES OF THE TRACKPAD N SCRAPE OUT ALL THE DIRT N STUFF... WHEN YOUR DONE WITH THAT, AIR DUST THE **bleep** OUT OF IT, THEN, GRAB AN ALCOHOL PAD N CLEAN.... SIMPLE AND EFFECTIVE, I DID THIS EARLIER N I HASNT FROZEN ON ME ALL DAY

YAYAYEE!!!

WESTSIIIIIIDE!!! LOL:smileymad:

My Device: Blackberry Curve- 8520
My Carrier: Rogers

I have had the EXACT same problem, and I am so angry.

This is my 2ND replacement phone of the blackberry curve with the new trackpad, and at first it was working perfectly the first day, but the 2nd day it started freezing...

My first phone worked good the first month but I dropped it once and after that it started freezing.

My new phone that they sent to me is COMPLETELY frozen and I cant check anything..

I'm never going to get this type of blackberry again, and I want to warn other people not to get it as well, you'll be very disapointed with this choice. 

Hopefully I'll get the blackberry bold with the ball instead of the trackpad and I hope I wont have any further problems.

If anyone has any advice let me know!

Visitor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

This is a common problem in most 8520's.   The track'pad' will freeze because there is a connection problem internally.  Because of the material used and design of this blackberry (flex plastic) - internally the connection of the trackpad disconnects and connects. 

To fix this issue

1.  Open your blackberry up from the back, and remove the battery, memory card, and sim card. remove the two screws and remove the metal piece that it is attached to. Here you will find the backing of the trackpad, and you will see that it is attached to an electronic film like wire, look deep in to the left of your phone, and you will see where it is connected.  Use a thin flat head screw driver to push the film like meterial into the pin socket, use a very small piece of electrical tape to hold it in place. Once everything is secure put everything back in order, it should work fine after that.

You could also replace the trackpad, but the same problem will occur if not secured properly, so don't waste your money.

To test to see if the tackpad still works, hold the top part of your blackberry in your left hand, apply your pointer finger at the top part of the phone and your thumb at the bottom part.  Use your right middle finger and apply pressure to the back, center of the phone until the phone bends a bit towards you, while doing this use your right thumb on your tackpad to see if it works.  If it does work while you are apply pressure then follow step 1 above. 

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: o2

I'm going to try that later, mprousis! I've been having the same problem for a while, it first happened when I was on holiday back in July, it happened for a day and I thought my blackberry was gone, so I then put it away. 5 days later I got it back out and it was working fine and I was happy, well.. more than happy. about 2 weeks ago, it happened again, but not for long and since 3 days ago its been fine! Lol, but yes for about 3 - 2 days now its been happening a awful lot and seems to be getting worse.. I wasn't even able to turn my alarm off this morning and I was too tired to think that turning my bb off would of helped.

Thanks for the input mprousis and I do hope that'll work later when I try it. 

New Contributor
My Device: BB 9850
My Carrier: Verizon

Okay, so I am having the same problem it looks like the rest of you are having!  I have had my phone for 11 months, after I installed the OS5 is when my problems started.   I have no idea what piece yall are talking about to push on, but I need help.  I don't want to send it in and then get another crappy phone back so I don't know what to do?  I got a Mytouch today and that was not going to work so I quickly took my sim card from that and back in to my blackberry but this sticking is driving me insane I can't take it much longer. 1 more month till upgrade>>>>>>>>

Cortina B.
My Device: Not Specified

lifesaver!! so far the metal trick has worked! my issue started only about a week ago, and since then, everytime i leave my phone for more than 5 mins, it freezes.

thanks for the tips, and i hope everyone has better luck with their phones!