Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Orange

Transfer the contact list from BB 8520 Curve to a new phone.

Hi. This my be the silliest question ever but here it goes.

I've got a BB curve 8520 and all my contacts are saved in the phone, not sim card.

Now i need to transfer all my contacts to a new phone Samsung Galaxy III.

I was told to transfer the contacts to a sim card and put that sim card into new phone and transfer.

I cant do that because my BB only gives me the option to copy one at a time and i have over 450 contacts.

i was told to sync but i cant see that option or how to do it via gmail.

getting very frustated now...!!!!

can somebody help me please?!?!?!

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Transfer the contact list from BB 8520 Curve to a new phone.

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

The SIM card has dropped out of favor for use as a storage/transfer medium for contacts due to it's limited capabilities. For example, on a BB, you can have one contact item with multiple phone numbers for that one person. The SIM, on the other hand, would have to have separate total entries for each phone number, even though they apply to the same person. Hence, the simplistic nature of the SIM phone book (in comparison to the robust BB Contact List) requires the "one at a time" transfer.

Your first step is actually to determine what format you need the data in for importing to your replacement device. Given that you are moving to a Droid platform (I think that the Samsung Galaxy III is a Droid), then your best bet is actually to get your data into Google and allow the Droid to auto-sync to Google. To do that, however, you need to do a few things to extract your data from your BB and make it ready for import to Google.

You will need to download an older (prior to 7.0) version of the RIM Desktop Software...this location has some older versions:

Install that to your PC, run it, and connect your BB when prompted. If it pops up any offers to update your BB or anything, be sure to bypass those...do not allow anything automatic to run! Inside of the software, run the CSV export process:

• KB24488 How to export contacts from a BlackBerry smartphone using BlackBerry Desktop Software 6

Now, you can use the Google Contact import capability (available inside of the Google website) to import your contacts into Google. Then, configure your Droid to synchronize to the Google servers, and you'll have what you need.

If I'm wrong and your Galaxy is not a Droid, then the process remains the same up to importing into Google...instead, take that CSV file and find out how to import it into your Galaxy.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code