Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Trying_to_transfer
My Device: Blackberry curve 9360
Accepted Solution

Transferring bbm from one device to another

Hi, I have recently purchased a Blackberry curve 9360, and have now sold my old Blackberry Curve 8520, I have spent 40 minutes trying to transfer my old bbm to my new blackberry, I know this is possible as I have done this before, but last time, when I entered my blackberry ID into the phone, a box popped up saying that my email was registered to another blackberry device and would I like to transfer my blackberry app world and bbm contact list to the new phone. I am just wondering why this hasn't appeared this time and how could I now transfer my bbm contact list from my old phone, which I no longer have, to my new blackberry device? Thank you
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Transferring bbm from one device to another

To move your email you need to go into the email setup icon and it should give you the option to move your accounts.

As for BBM, you won't be able to transfer unless you made a backup of your old phone. On the bright side, if you install the latest version of BBM7 it will use your BBID and all future transfers will be associated with the BBID instead of your actual device.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Trying_to_transfer

I have set up my email. Is there no way to get my old pin and contact list? In my app world all of my old downloads have appeared
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

With the latest version of BBM that is how it works. However, the version that was on your 8520 did NOT work that way. The only way to get those contacts is to do a restore from that device.

You would need the old device (or a backup from it) in order to restore them to the new device.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Trying_to_transfer

But how did my phone recognise the BBID before and transfer my contact list without a backup?
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

If you had an 8520 your BBM did not transfer your bbm contact list via BBID. That is new with OS6 and higher devices running BBM v7
Please use plain text.
Trying_to_transfer

I understand that it was not transferred via BBID, I am just trying to understand how my bbm contact list was transferred from one phone to the other last time?
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

I don't know.  I didn't do your device switch.  There are a couple of methods:

1.  Device Switch Wizard in Desktop Manager.

2.  Backup old device; Restore backup file to new device. 

New with BBM7 on OS6 and higher devices:

BBM contacts are saved via your BBID and backups are no longer necessary. 

Please use plain text.
Trying_to_transfer

Ok, thank you
Please use plain text.