Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
dano2

Transferring media files to computer

I've been trying for a day to install the 4.3 Desktop manager with Roxio, but it just hangs up during installation. After reading these forums I'm thinking I'm better off not intalling Roxio at all. So installed 4.5. I've read that I can use Windows Explorer to transfer files but am just getting a "Please insert a disk into drive E" message when clicking on that drive. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan 

Curve 8330

XP sp2 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Transferring media files to computer

[ Edited ]

Can you "see" your BB when you use DeskTop 4.5? Does it connect and give you your PIN number on the bottom of the screen? If so, then your blackberry should show up under Windows as a removable drive

If not your PC is not recognizing your BB. Maybe you have a bad port, cable, corrupt drivers?

I have xp pro sp3 and BB desktop 4.5 as well.

Hope this helps!

Message Edited by Bifocals on 08-03-2008 05:51 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dano2

Thanks for responding. Yes I can see the pin number at the bottom of the desktop manager. Yes the removable drive (E) does pop up in windows explorer but still get the "Please insert a disk into drive E" message. Rebooted. Same behavior. I read somewhere that this might be because I may not have a microSD media card installed. Does this make sense? Installed where? My PC or the BB? I just got this BB last week. I might have to exchange this thing for the Instinct, if I'm going to have to start buying accessories to perform simple file transfers. Ugh!

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

If you don't have a media card installed in your Blackberry, then you are limited to the device memory.  Mine by default is set to 12mb.

What is your device? We can check to see if you do have a media card.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

the Blackberry has internal memory that is reserved for Blackberry matters : messages, applications, calendar tasks, address book...
For multimedia matters, the Blackberry has a slot for a microSDcard. Usually, the carrier provides the onsumer wih a small microSD (1GB or so). You can go up to 8GB for 30$ (8GB is as much as the iPhone) in any store that sells microSD cards. Or 4GB for 10$.

That being said, the functions and magics of the Blackberry Curve and of the Samsung Instinct are really not the same, I'm surprised that both can fit your needs. Anyway, the Samsung Instinct requires exactly the same microSD card (maybe your carrier will provide one for you)

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Here's a video that show how to install a media card, you can use it to check and see if you have one.

Hope this helps!

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-lecture-6-how-install-microsdhc-card-your-blackberry

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dano2

I checked, and I do have a small microSD (1GB) installed. So I guess a lack of microSD is not the reason I'm unable to open that removable drive. So, no one has ever experienced this issue with not being able to open the drive?

Thanks 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dano2

Not sure if this will make it any clearer but here's a print screen of everything including the connected desktop manager in the back and the "error" message I'm getting trying to access the E drive:

http://singlestudents.com/BBIssue.jpg 

Thanks,

Dan 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Go to MEDIA hit menu key Explore and see if you have Device memory and Media card.

I think the problem maybe that the media card is not formatted.

But let's see if the BlackBerry recognizes the media card first.

Let me know!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dano2

Thanks for sticking with me, bifocals. Ok, I followed that path and do see Device memory and Media card folders. Then I went into Options, media card, menu, and reformatted successfully. I tried reconnecting once in Mass Storage mode and once not. No change yet :smileysad: Both times produced the same message when trying to access the removable drive.

Please use plain text.