Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900
Accepted Solution

Transmit and Receive calls gone faulty but phone will text. Clicking noise in speaker

A sudden fault has struck my Curve 8900

When an incoming call is answered or an outgoing call is made the output turns to a clicking noise that is regular and breaks up the sound going out and the transmission of the caller's voice coming in.

They can't hear me and only hear the clicking and my broken up voice

I can't hear them and all I hear is the clicking and their voice broken up.

The strange thing is the phone sends and receives SMS text perfectly.

I've checked this out with o2 my service proivder and they recommended a firmware upgrade

So I did that and updated all the software and still the fault remains.

I have plenty of mp3 music on the phone and that's all working as is the camera and video.

Pulling the battery didn't cure.  Pulling the SIM card didn't cure.

Free space is 134 mb

Media card has 2.7Gb free

I only have 9 applications on the phone. Ordinary stuff like Calculator Voice Dialler

There is one strange notification slightly to the right of where a Text message is awaiting my reading but there are no messages in any folders.  Saved messages are empty but I can't find out how to read the message and the icon won't go away.

O2 said I might have to send it back for repair if the tricks I try don't cure it.

I haven't dropped the phone or had any water ingress etc.  It's just started doing this fault when I

accidentally pressed a button that started a voice activation command and then aborted it as I don't use voice activation dialling.   There are no outstanding mms or sms awaiting reading or sending.

A total mystery.  Anyone got any ideas as to what might be causing this strange regular beating interruption of the transmission both ways?

--

Plado

Laurie Prior
Guru I
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2243; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Transmit and Receive calls gone faulty but phone will text. Clicking noise in speaker

The clicking definitely sounds like a problem.

As for the icon, can you describe it?  or post a screenshot of it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

Re: Transmit and Receive calls gone faulty but phone will text. Clicking noise in speaker

Well there's no screenshot as nothing appears on screen when it's doing it.

Some new info though, when I plugged in the headphones last night to listen to some mp3 instead of the headphones going click a screen came up showing that it was listening for a voice input to make a voice-activated dial out.

I ignored it as there seemed no input options.   It went away then I was into the playlists and started it playing.

The clicking only happens on calls in and out and it comes through the speakerphone if switched on or the headset if that is enabled.

The icon you can ignore as I've now found out that it was a message waiting to be read from O2 when I did the firmware upgrade but it wasnt' sitting in the SMS text inbox it was in Messages which I think are blackberry messages and I don't have a blackberry account.  SO that icon has gone away now.

I might take the phone to my nearest O2 shop this morning and see if they can diagnose the problem.

But in the meantime if you have any brain-waves on it I'd be delighted to know.  It could be messed up by my wrongly activating voice-activated dialling by mistake but how that can go peculiar I really don't know.

Thanks

Laurie Prior
Contributor

Just replying to my own posting to update what happened over this fault; in case it may help someone else who gets a similar problem.

I took the phone to my local O2 shop and a guy in there who said he'd met this problem before and that he thought he knew what was wrong.  So I handed him the phone and he tried to make a call on it to test the fault.  He didn't know how to use the keypad and handed it back to me saying "The keys don't work".   I described how you have to press the Green Phone receiver button (Connect) to bring up a window with a dialling box and previous dialled calls in a list below, before you can enter any numbers.  

He took the phone back and then fiddled about with a headset plugging it in and taking it out.

Then he tried to make a call and quick as a flash took the headset out and said "There you are it's fixed".

He was about to disappear out the back before I could even offer him any fee for his help.  I said,

"What did you do to cure it then?"  He said "You have to plug in a headset and try to make a call and when it connects remove the headset and the phone should be working properly".

Well !! I was gobsmacked.   Even more surprised that O2 engineers didn't appear to know about this glitch that can affect Blackberry phones when I had a long couple of calls to them yesterday evening.

Anyhow thanks for your attempt to help.

--

Plado

Laurie Prior
Visitor
My Device: Curve 8520

I had the exact same problem on my Curve 8520. The solution worked!

Thanks,

Richard

Guru I
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2243; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

This is usually caused by a faulty or dirty headset jack. Inserting and removing the plug multiple times may fix it but also may cause it to happen again. It may not. If it happens again try plugging it in an unplugging it over and over. If that doesn't fix it you'll need to get it repaired/replaced.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

Thanks for that.  I can quite believe it could be a dirty internal jack and its associated contact-surfaces.

I think that one of the perils of keeping a mobile in your pocket is that dust and debris tends to accumulate and small muck gets in through all kinds of gaps in the phone's external controls.

I had the trackball fail due to ingress of dirt and I was unable to clean it by normal methods so I sent the phone back to my Service Provider who sent it to Blackberry's factory and they were unable to repair it, but fortunately for me it was still under warranty so they gave me a new phone (identical model) but it's all running now superbly and I'm trying to keep it a bit cleaner!

Thanks again for your detailed description of what was going wrong with the headset jack.

--

Plado

Laurie Prior
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry bold 9700

Omg! Amazing!!! This worked, pulling the jack in and out..
My speaker was breaking up when I made or received a call, but worked fine on hands free... Thank you! Now I have a battery problem :smileysad: (it dies on 40%) I've bought 2 new batteries and nothing changes...