Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9600

Re: Unable to Update my Curve 9600 to the latest 7.1 OS

Hi,

Well First Thing is i have deleted the Vendor.XML files and Secondly i dont have an active BIS in my SIM, Is it necessary to have an active BIS in order to update.

Regards,

Alan

Contributor

Hi Guys,

What am i to do next??

Regards,
Alan
Elite II
My Device: Curve

heatseeker007 wrote:

Well First Thing is i have deleted the Vendor.XML files and Secondly i dont have an active BIS in my SIM, Is it necessary to have an active BIS in order to update.

Hi there ,

Without a sufficient data plan its not easy to update the device OS , But still if you want to try then yo have to start all over again.

If you're willing to try then , First UNINSTALL all programs related to RIM including BlackBerry  Desktop Software, 

and be sure nothing is left related to it in your Program files folder and in common files (\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion). Also on your PC Go to Control panel > Uninstall a Program or Add or Remove program  and delete or remove everything related to BlackBerry then restart your windows.

1. Download and install the latest BlackBerry desktop software from here BlackBerry desktop software

2.Locate your Carrier and Download the OS you desire from here  BlackBerry Software Download Site

• (make sure you are downloading for the same model as you have )

3. Disconnect and remove all Internet connection and cables from the PC . Restart your PC .

4. Then using desktop software perform a full backup of your device.

5. Now Install the OS pack on your PC by Double Click  on the file that you Downloaded 

.Search your C: Drive for any Vendor.xml files and delete them, there may be one or two Vendor.xml ( On your PC change your folders option to show hidden files / folders  :

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\Windows UserName\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

7.Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader. (For 64-bit Vista or Windows 7, the path       will be C: > Program Files x86 > Common Files > Research In Motion > AppLoader) double click Loader.exe.

Try it and see if you're able to update your device software Or you have to use a SIM which has an active BIS . 

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Contributor

Hi,

Well but i do have a WiFi connection right so why is it i need to have an Active BIS and moreover in Options i dont find Device Update available in my phone. May i know why??
Elite II

heatseeker007 wrote:

Well but i do have a WiFi connection right so why is it i need to have an Active BIS 

Hello,

WiFi will allow limited access to BlackBerry application , it will not allow Proprietary BlackBerry applications like BBM, Push Email services , BlackBerry Protect and many more without BIS even over wifi . We need BIS for all pre BB10 devices to use those aplications.

heatseeker007 wrote:

moreover in Options i dont find Device Update available in my phone. May i know why??

Those Updates are pushed by respective , Without an active BlackBerry Data Plan that option may not be availble .

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Contributor

Re: Unable to Update my Curve 9360 to the latest 7.1 OS

Hi Guys,

I have followed each and every step as provided above such as Downloaded the 7.1 OS, The latest Desktop Manager and also deleted the Vendor.XML files as well.

My question is in the Desktop Manager Software it shows my version as 7.0 and in case of updated version available it should show an update option in the DM right, That itself i dont get.

Moreover in Options i dont find the option of Device Update in Options in my Phone. 

Regards,

Alan

Elite II

heatseeker007 wrote:

My question is in the Desktop Manager Software it shows my version as 7.0 and in case of updated version available it should show an update option in the DM right, That itself i dont get.

Moreover in Options i dont find the option of Device Update in Options in my Phone. 

Alan,

As I said earlier , those Updates are pushed by our Carrier or service provider when you're subscribed to BIS , otherwise it will not offer .

Contributor

Hi Guys,

I am yet to receive a solution though i have tried all the steps and also activated the BIS and yet i am unable to update my software to 7.1 :smileysad:

Regards,

Alan

Elite II

Hi Alan

First Confirm which BlackBerry Model you have and your current OS version , for help refer to this KB :

KB23393 How to check the model number and version of installed BlackBerry device software on a BlackBerry 

If you're having Curve 9360 and have an active BIS in your account , then follow the steps suggested on # Post 2 within this thread . 

Before that Uninstall any BlackBerry OS packages from the PC , then start all over again. After following those steps if you're still unable then please post back and let us know at which stage you're having problem . Be sure to download the correct OS pack as per your device model . 

Contributor

Hey Guys,

Thank You all for support and finally i have updated my BB OS to 7.1 :smileyhappy: Also you dont need an active BIS subscription to do so.

Please follow the Steps:

Requirements:

1. the device software (OS): you can download it from Blackberry software website.
 (Note: If you need  input languages support other that English, you need to get a multilingual package. here is a version 5 one.)

2. In case you need to backup your device before installation.. download Blackberry desktop software.

Steps: 

1. (optional) Backup all you contacts / MSGs/ etc… using blackberry desktop software.

2. UNINSTALL all programs related to RIM including Desktop manager, and make sure nothing left related to it in your program files folder and in common files(\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion).
then restart your windows. 

3. After windows starts up, Install the device software you downloaded in the first step in requirements part.

4. Remove VENDOR.XML from ApplLoader Folder located in (\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader).

5. PlugIn your blackberry to the computer using USB Cable and Remove the Batter and the SIM Card from the blackberry.

Now Focus in the coming 2 steps, Cause you have to do it fast ( and don’t plug out the USB cable !! )

6. Open AppLoader folder and keep it opened.

7.  Insert the battery back to the blackberry [the LED Light will turn RED

-NOW-Run the Loader.exe from the AppLoader folder before the RED light goes away.

8. In the application, you will see that your device found But with Unknown PIN… PressNext and start the sofware scanning.

9. Follow the installation process and choose all modules you need =)

after installation … Wait and mmmmmmm Wait, Because it will take alot of time tobootup your blackberry for the first time.

10. (optional) Install the desktop software and restore important personal data you backed up in the first step.
Don’t restore all settings cuz some settings might be not compatible with the new version just do with important stuff only.

Finally .. you are done :=D

Hope this Helps.

Regards,

Alan