Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
FrustratedNewbie
My Device: Curve 8520

Unable to fix a nuked Blackberry

Hi All, I am new here, but have searched the web for a solution to this problem.

I have a BlackBerry Curve 8520 which won't turn on and just has the red led light flashing sequence. I have looked at various different posts on how to restore a "nuked" BB, but none of them work. I have downloaded the latest OS, used JL Cmder, tried the app loader solution and none have worked. The option for Com 1 or anything does not appear in the apploader screen so am unable to get it out of boot sequence. Tried with battery out, nothing works. I have checked the ports in the device manager on my laptop, all appears to work there, yet I am unable to fix this darn phone. 

Please help an extremly frustrated newbie :-)

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Unable to fix a nuked Blackberry

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Sadly, from your report, I cannot tell EXACTLY what you have already tried, so hence risk redundancy...nevertheless, better that than nothing at all, eh?

First...preparations...the simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Make sure you have a current and complete backup of your BB...you can find complete instructions via the link in my auto-sig below. (this may well be moot in your situation...)

2) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

3) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

4) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

• http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp
  • It is sorted first by carrier -- so if all you want are the OS levels your carrier supports, your search will be quick. However, some carriers are much slower than others to release updates. To truly seek out the most up-to-date OS package for your BB, you must dig through and find all carriers that support your specific model BB, and then compare the OS levels that they support.

5) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Now, try again the various tricks...if any suggest the use of an Update Website, substitute please either the Desktop Software or LOADER.EXE based on the above installations.

For JLCMDR, be sure to try the /nojvm method as well.

You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe it is capable of.

You may also want to try the "Bare Bones OS Reload Procedure" to attempt to narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

You may also need the use of these tricks:

Also do be aware that if your issue is hardware, then no amount of OS/software level solutions will be of any use at all.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
FrustratedNewbie

Thanks for your very detailed reply :-)

This is my sisters blackberry, so there wasn't any original BB software on my laptop. I downloaded the current version using your advice

3) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

4) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

• http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp
  • It is sorted first by carrier -- so if all you want are the OS levels your carrier supports, your search will be quick. However, some carriers are much slower than others to release updates. To truly seek out the most up-to-date OS package for your BB, you must dig through and find all carriers that support your specific model BB, and then compare the OS levels that they support.

5) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Now, try again the various tricks...if any suggest the use of an Update Website, substitute please either the Desktop Software or LOADER.EXE based on the above installations.

For JLCMDR, be sure to try the /nojvm method as well.

•  

Unfortunately I still can't get the desktop manager to recognise that the blackberry is connected.

Using the KB10144 How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader. I get the following message "Before you begin, verify that your current blackberry device is connected to your computer" there aren't any options, just that message and the blackberry is connected to the laptop so I can't update this way.

I tried using the update option in article KB27956 How to recover a BlackBerry smartphone from any state

via firefox, this opens the application loader software, but I get a device connection box pop up that say's please connect your device and a dropdown to select the pin for the device, however there are no options in the drop down as the blackberry is not being detected, so this option doesn't work either.

If I could just get the software to detect the blackberry then I'm sure one of these options would work, as it has for others.

The BB just seems to be stuck. The display is off, it is just the red light sequence: 1 slow red light, 3 fast red lights, then 1 slow light. This is the only activity I am getting on the BB.

I do know that she originaly got an error mesage, I think it was 504 or 507, she tried to fix it, but disconnected the BB while it was trying to reboot, so I think it is stuck in the reboot sequence.

Are there any keys I can press on the BB to do a master reset do you know?

Thanks for taking the time to try and help with this.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

FrustratedNewbie wrote:
  • Using the KB10144 How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader. I get the following message "Before you begin, verify that your current blackberry device is connected to your computer" there aren't any options, just that message and the blackberry is connected to the laptop so I can't update this way.

I actually think that method might be the best for you...but I don't find anywhere in the KB any reference to what you say you see. Nor can I tell, from your words, on which step of the KB this happens. So I'm unclear how to help, since I can't quite understand. But I do think this one might be the best one for you to use, given that it's specifically intended to force your BB to be detected.

FrustratedNewbie wrote:
  •  

I tried using the update option in article KB27956 How to recover a BlackBerry smartphone from any state

via firefox, this opens the application loader software, but I get a device connection box pop up that say's please connect your device and a dropdown to select the pin for the device, however there are no options in the drop down as the blackberry is not being detected, so this option doesn't work either.

That might lead you to the next one recommended...it discusses ways to deal with this. Plus, it can sometimes be a matter of timing...when you connect versus where the Desktop Software is in it's process versus where the BB is in it's boot up process. It can be tricky, and I've had situations where I tried truly 25 times before I just happened to get the timing right and it could proceed.

FrustratedNewbie wrote:
  • If I could just get the software to detect the blackberry then I'm sure one of these options would work, as it has for others.

The BB just seems to be stuck. The display is off, it is just the red light sequence: 1 slow red light, 3 fast red lights, then 1 slow light. This is the only activity I am getting on the BB.

Hmmm...it could also be that the battery is too depleted to continue. If that's the case, then nothing will work correctly. Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain directly connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB, not a cradle):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain an known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem. Note carefully please that "new" and "know good" are not necessarily the same things. While rare, a "new" battery certainly could be defective. Rather, the simplest (and least costly, btw) method to conduct this test is to find someone with an identical BB who has no issues...trade batteries and see what happens.

FrustratedNewbie wrote:
  • I do know that she originaly got an error mesage, I think it was 504 or 507, she tried to fix it, but disconnected the BB while it was trying to reboot, so I think it is stuck in the reboot sequence.

I've never seen a 504, but a 507 means that there is no OS loaded on the device at all, and these tricks indeed can get the OS to load onto the device.

FrustratedNewbie wrote:
  • Are there any keys I can press on the BB to do a master reset do you know?

No. In the condition as you describe it, there is nothing you can do directly on the device. Only by succeeding via PC/USB can the device be recovered (assuming, of course, that there is no hardware failure...).

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
FrustratedNewbie

sdgardne wrote:

FrustratedNewbie wrote:
  • Using the KB10144 How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader. I get the following message "Before you begin, verify that your current blackberry device is connected to your computer" there aren't any options, just that message and the blackberry is connected to the laptop so I can't update this way.

I actually think that method might be the best for you...but I don't find anywhere in the KB any reference to what you say you see. Nor can I tell, from your words, on which step of the KB this happens. So I'm unclear how to help, since I can't quite understand. But I do think this one might be the best one for you to use, given that it's specifically intended to force your BB to be detected.

As soon as you open the desktop manager v5.01 the message is displayed, so can't use this solution.

FrustratedNewbie wrote:
  •  

That might lead you to the next one recommended...it discusses ways to deal with this. Plus, it can sometimes be a matter of timing...when you connect versus where the Desktop Software is in it's process versus where the BB is in it's boot up process. It can be tricky, and I've had situations where I tried truly 25 times before I just happened to get the timing right and it could proceed.

Again as soon as the software opens I get the message to connect device, so can go any further in the process for solving the problem.

FrustratedNewbie wrote:
  • If I could just get the software to detect the blackberry then I'm sure one of these options would work, as it has for others.

Hmmm...it could also be that the battery is too depleted to continue. If that's the case, then nothing will work correctly. Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain directly connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB, not a cradle):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

Tried this, didn't work.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain an known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem. Note carefully please that "new" and "know good" are not necessarily the same things. While rare, a "new" battery certainly could be defective. Rather, the simplest (and least costly, btw) method to conduct this test is to find someone with an identical BB who has no issues...trade batteries and see what happens.

FrustratedNewbie wrote:
  • I do know that she originaly got an error mesage, I think it was 504 or 507, she tried to fix it, but disconnected the BB while it was trying to reboot, so I think it is stuck in the reboot sequence.

I've never seen a 504, but a 507 means that there is no OS loaded on the device at all, and these tricks indeed can get the OS to load onto the device.

FrustratedNewbie wrote:
  • Are there any keys I can press on the BB to do a master reset do you know?

No. In the condition as you describe it, there is nothing you can do directly on the device. Only by succeeding via PC/USB can the device be recovered (assuming, of course, that there is no hardware failure...).

No matter what I try, i can't get anything to detect the BB. I'm just gonna tell her to go get another phone, not a BB as from what I can see they have loads of problems. I haven't had any problems like this with my iphone. Probably a swear word here lol.
Thanks ever so much though for all your input in trying to get this resoled.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

If you were looking for something simple, then indeed BB is not the proper platform. In order to maintain their reputation for the highest security available, things just can't be as simple as less secure platforms. Trade-offs must be made, and can only be decided upon by the one who is using the device.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates