If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
Whyisthisnotworkingbah
My Device: Curve - 9320
My Carrier: Mobilicity

Unable to transfer address book from old Curve to new Curve

Hello,

my mom had a Curve 9300 with Mobilicity Canada. The trackball began freezing and stopped working, so I tried several fixes:

1. Battery pulls.

2. Backed everything up then data wiped everything.

3. Tried improving contact between trackball and the rest of the phone.

4. Finally, completely reinstalled Blackberry OS to the latest/greatest OS.

None of this worked. Our local providers were unable to give us a new trackball, so we decided to get her a new Curve 9320, again with Mobilicity.

I first tried to use the BB desktop software to Restore only her old address book from the 9300, but that option was greyed out.

Then I tried turning off wireless synchro, since apparently that is a reason sometimes the option is greyed out. But there was no option for turning that off in the Contacts, Calendar or anywhere else I looked.

So then I used the Device Transfer Wizard to transfer everything from the old phone to the new phone.

But the phone numbers have not transferred.

Can someone please tell me how to get the old numbers into the new phone?

Thanks very much.

No apps are installed and the Curve 9320 is using v7.1.0.398, Platform 9.49.0.31

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Unable to transfer address book from old Curve to new Curve

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Typically, there are two places on the device to check and disable Wireless Contact sync so that the Desktop Software can conduct the restore. This KB guides you to both locations:

• KB22430 How to enable or disable wireless contact synchronization with BlackBerry Internet Service

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Whyisthisnotworkingbah

Thanks!

I followed the instructions and made sure the Wireless Contact synchro was disabled, but it did not help. The address book is still greyed out.

Are there any other reasons why this might be?

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Typically, it's because Wireless Sync is on, which takes precedence over wired sync. But, you've turned it off, so that's not it. So now we make some guesses...and all of my guesses now have to do with the device itself. You said you obtained it to replace the prior device...but I can't tell if it was a new, refurbished, or totally used device. So it's possible that there was something residual left on the device before it was delivered to you, which may be blocking this.

Please check this:

• KB30076 How to check for an IT Policy on a BlackBerry smartphone

If there is an IT Policy, then you need to perform this:

• KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Note carefully that, when you restore again, do not do a full automatic restore. Rather, only restore those databases specifically required (e.g., calendar, contacts, etc.) but specifically do not restore any databases that have to do with Enterprise or IT Policy...if you do, you'll just wind up back where you are now.

Please check this:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

Depending on how the device was procured, the prior owner may not have properly conducted their Seller steps, which must be done before the Buyer steps. If want to try, you can attempt just the Buyer steps and hope for the best.

How were contacts previously managed on the prior BB? If they were, for example, using Google or some other compatible server to synchronize them with the BB, then they may not have even backed up, which would be why they aren't now available for restore. If such is the case, then reactivating the OTA sync for contacts will re-establish things.

Those are about all I can think of...good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Whyisthisnotworkingbah

Both phones were purchased brand new.

I managed to get into the files using excel macros but there are 300+ entries that will have to be entered in by hand.

It's a little ridiculous that this is such an onerous process. If my mom wasn't a senior depending on a qwerty keyboard I would have definitely switched her over to an android. 

I really don't understand why this is so complicated and nonintutitive. And why is there no 1800 number to call???

I've handled a million different IT problems for my mom/dad/sister but this has been by far one of the worst.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Whyisthisnotworkingbah wrote:

It's a little ridiculous that this is such an onerous process. If my mom wasn't a senior depending on a qwerty keyboard I would have definitely switched her over to an android. 

I really don't understand why this is so complicated and nonintutitive.

Under normal circumstances, it's not difficult. Something about your specific circumstances is blocking the automated methods, but it's incredibly difficult to diagnose at an internet-distance. I'm sure that if we had your devices in our hands we could figure it out very quitckly...but, via this channel, we depend on what you tell us and what we ask you to attempt. Lacking details makes it very very difficult for all concerned.

But, consider -- it's not a phone. It's a computer, that happens to also to mobile telephony. As such, it's subject to all of the foibles and challenges that all computing devices are subject to. After all, they are designed, built, and operated by humans...it's pretty much impossible to achieve perfection. And when things go wrong, it takes diagnostic processes to try and figure out why, so as to hopefully reach a conclusion.

Sadly, since you've not replied specifically to any of my earlier thoughts, I have no further ideas to provide to you.

And why is there no 1800 number to call???

Because, when you bought your device(s) and subscribed to services, you agreed to the formal support model that exists for all BlackBerry users. Contractually, BlackBerry cannot provide any front line support...all support starts with the carriers, the original places of purchase, or authorized service centers -- it varies by region and issue. There are plenty of other threads that debate the merits (and de-merits!!) of that support model...but IMHO they are nothing more than an interesting academic discussion...all parties are bound to that support model, and no one here can change it from what it is.

I've handled a million different IT problems for my mom/dad/sister but this has been by far one of the worst.

Again...something is not correct in your situation, and it should not be this way. But from what you've so far provided, I can deduce nothing further than already provided. I wish I could do more, but I have only what you say here to guide me.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.