Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
esmilner
My Device: T-Mobile Blackberry Curve 8900

Uncaught Exceptions - Serious Problem

This morning I found my ability to open and send emails suddenly ceased.  I did a simple shutdown, battery removal, and restart while trying to see if I could help an issue I was having with a poor service area.  Wow, it turned into a disaster.

I started getting the following error messages, the former when I would reboot the device, and the latter whenever I tried opening up messages from my email folder.

uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException
Uncaught exception: Application net_rim_bb_messaging_app(106) is not responding; process terminated

I came home and tried to connect my BB to the computer and run desktop manager, I would get an error message that it could not successfully connect to the device.  I felt like I was really scr... in a bad spot.

Finally, I realized that I could go into the application loader and remove all applications and reinstall.  That did work in terms of me being able to open emails again, but it looks like I am going to have problems with getting all of my prior applications restored, including Windows Live Messenger, Facebook, and now I can't seem to run a web browser either, when I look at the browser configuration settings, the Blackberry browser doesn't appear as an option.... then again, I can access some sites, so who knows.

Luckily, I have backed up the BB in the past.  I can see that I am going to have to change my behavior to an extent and back it up at least once a week, as I recovered some settings but still lost about three weeks worth of minor modifications.  I also am perturbed that whatever happened to my BB system software made it impossible for me to back it up before deleting and reinstalling all applications.

I have seen on some message boards that those messages above are a sign that a third-party app is causing problems with your system.  The only thing I changed recently was to download and install Yahoo sports mobile for the BB.  It never connected properly to the site, which I couldn't understand.  I wonder if that was the application that really messed up my system.  Since then I have at least upgraded to the latest system software.

So, I've mostly resolved this issue on my own.  Does anyone have any insight or experience related to this?  I'd be happy to have feedback that might help in the future.

Thanks!!

Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Uncaught Exceptions - Serious Problem

It does indeed sound like you got most of the issue resolved on your own.  While you have your phone up and running, I'd recommend performing a backup of the device, just in case.  :smileyhappy:

Now then, this said, it sounds like the remaining problems you're having is due to the need to re-register your BlackBerry on the BlackBerry network or due to missing service books.  To re-register your phone on the BlackBerry network, go to Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Tables.  Once here, you can press the BB Menu button and select Register Now.  You should get a message in your Message Inbox stating that the device is now successfully registered on the BlackBerry network. 

If this doesn't resolve the problem, you need to resend the service books.  You should be able to resend the service books by going to the Setup folder and then select Email Settings.  Log in if required, then once you're inside, press the BB Menu button and select Service Books.  From the next screen, you can simply choose to send your service books.  This should get you up and running again.  If you don't know your login information, your best bet is to simply call your carrier.  They can resend the service books for you and give you the login information for your account in case you ever need to do this again.

I hope this helps out!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Foxwares
My Device: Curve 8520

Hello how are you? I have the following problem when I want to add a new contact :

uncaught exception: Application net_rim_bb_addressbook_app(254) is not responding; process terminated 

Thanks for your help friend !!

Forums Advisor I
hApS143
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520, BlackBerry PlayBook

Hello !

Try the following:

Simply delete all the apps which you might have upgraded recently / delete apps which were recently installed before the error which actually started occuring.

After that unplug the battery while the phone is still "on" and restart the phone.

In fact I had deleted a whole bunch of apps to facilitate my OS upgrade as I did not have enough memory on my Device.  

This not only helped solve my above mentioned problem but also made my phone restart in less than 3 minutes (the earlier reboot was done in not less than 15  minutes !!).

Therefore my conclusion as from the above incidents is to keep your apps in the bare minimum so that ur phone performs to the best.

Hope this resolves your Problem!

If your problem has been resolved then would request you to Click on "Like" and accept as "Solution" so that other Advisors doesnt invest their time on this Message anymore.

Thanks.