Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry curve 8520
My Carrier: Base
Accepted Solution

Understanding vendors on blackberry

Hey

My boss gave me his old blackberry. he used proximus (Belgium). I don't think the phone is locked (how can I see this?).

He also had a problem with in the past, this was solved but suddenly no Dutch language anymore.

I searched some on this forum and discoverd a software link (Desktop & Device Software Download Sites for BlackBerry users ) :

If you did not purchase your BlackBerry® smartphone directly from Research In Motion (RIM), please select the link to your service provider below to download the BlackBerry® Desktop Software and BlackBerry® Device Software that your service provider has authorized for use with your device.

If I understand correctly: let's say if I'm going to buy an new simcard from BASE company (a service provider in Belgium), I need to install the software corresponding to this service provider.

Does this mean that if I'm abroad (outside the country(Belgium) ) , That I can't use the phone anymore?

I need the blackberry device software to reinstall the blackberry, so Dutch language is back.

Is there a difference between those software (sorted by country) or is it only the avalaible languages that differs?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Understanding vendors on blackberry

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

You have several misunderstandings...so this post will be a bit long...sorry about that...

haramo wrote:

My boss gave me his old blackberry. he used proximus (Belgium). I don't think the phone is locked (how can I see this?).

Refer:

haramo wrote:

If I understand correctly: let's say if I'm going to buy an new simcard from BASE company (a service provider in Belgium), I need to install the software corresponding to this service provider.

No. With the proper tricks (below), you can use any OS package from any carrier, as long as it's for your specific BB model number.

haramo wrote:

Does this mean that if I'm abroad (outside the country(Belgium) ) , That I can't use the phone anymore?

Completely unrelated.

To use your BB when off of your home carrier network, and if you want to keep your home SIM card inserted, then you must have arranged with your home carrier network for a roaming data plan, international if that's where you are roaming to.

To use your BB on a different carrier network with their SIM, you must first have unlocked your BB from it's home carrier (refer to the above for that).

Further (applies to both methods), Your BB must be compatible with the carrier data network technology and frequency...if the radio inside of your BB does not support the carrier network, then nothing will work. If it is compatible, then you should be able to receive voice-level services. But, for BB data level services, you further must be sure that your specific BB model number is supported by that carrier network for automatic HRT and Service Book delivery to your BB...if not, then you won't be able to receive BB data services.

haramo wrote:

Is there a difference between those software (sorted by country) or is it only the avalaible languages that differs?

It's actually both more and less tricky than that. Looking at all 4 octets of the OS version number, if two carriers have the same version, then the package is identical from the BB functional standpoint. However, each carrier tends to "wrap" the package they release with some carrier-specific things, but none of that is truly required...it's usually just things like teaser icons for apps that a carrier has agreed to try and push to their users. Not important.

As for language, that's not simply a matter of the carrier you choose. Rather, it's a matter of the specific OS package you choose, as governed by this KB:

• Article ID: KB05305 Localization support for BlackBerry smartphones

haramo wrote:

I need the blackberry device software to reinstall the blackberry, so Dutch language is back.

OK, with all of the above out of the way now, the simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Make sure you have a current and complete backup of your BB...you can find complete instructions via the link in my auto-sig below.

2) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

3) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

4) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

• http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp
  • It is sorted first by carrier -- so if all you want are the OS levels your carrier supports, your search will be quick. However, some carriers are much slower than others to release updates. To truly seek out the most up-to-date OS package for your BB, you must dig through and find all carriers that support your specific model BB, and then compare the OS levels that they support.
  • Use the localization KB linked above as your guide to picking a package containing the language(s) you desire.

5) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

6a) For changing your installed BB OS level (upgrade or downgrade), you can launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC.

6b) Or, for reloading your currently installed BB OS level as well as for changing it, bypass the Desktop Software and use LOADER.EXE directly, by proceeding to step 2 in this process:

If, during the processes of 6a or 6b, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue. During the install, be sure to check deeply at all of the available apps to select for it to install...be sure to dig deeply into each multi-level item and be sure that you've selected everything that has to do with your desired language(s).

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks for the clear info.

I tried to check if phone is unlocked but have no simcard yet installed in the phone.  Wil check this later.

But I think is unlocked, I have the box of the phone and nothing says that the phone is locked.

But will confirm it later.

No, I'm following your guideline to install a new OS (Dutch language). I did not to a backup of the phone, as I there is no important data on it.

I never used blackberry related apps on my windows 7 64 bit laptop, so no need to uninstall apps.

I installed the blackberry desktop software. 

When I connect the blakbarry phone with my laptop, I receive a message on the phone whether or not I want to turn on mass storage mode, I said yes.

I see the blackberry phone in my device manager (windows), but blakcberry desktop software does not connect to the phone.

What can I do?

Hall of Famer II

haramo wrote:

But I think is unlocked, I have the box of the phone and nothing says that the phone is locked.

I have never known the packaging to state locked or unlocked...doesn't mean it might or might not, just that I've never seen it. The sole reliable method is as described.

haramo wrote:

No, I'm following your guideline to install a new OS (Dutch language). I did not to a backup of the phone, as I there is no important data on it.

I never used blackberry related apps on my windows 7 64 bit laptop, so no need to uninstall apps.

I installed the blackberry desktop software. 

When I connect the blakbarry phone with my laptop, I receive a message on the phone whether or not I want to turn on mass storage mode, I said yes.

I see the blackberry phone in my device manager (windows), but blakcberry desktop software does not connect to the phone.

So, you seemed to be reporting there what, from the instructions I provided, you were doing. Taken that way, there are several things omitted. You mention specifically only the things applicable to steps 1 and  2, but there are many more steps to conduct before attaching your BB to your computer. Do I surmise that you skipped those steps? Or do I surmise you did them? I do so dislike guessing, though...leads to so many errors.

haramo wrote:

What can I do?

If I guess that you did all of the steps correctly and the results from each were as expected, then here is the list of troubleshooting articles...hopefully something will be useful:

• http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Desktop-Software/Tips-for-getting-BlackBerry-Deskt...
  • KB10144 How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader
  • KB28457 BlackBerry Desktop Software is unable to detect the BlackBerry Smartphone due to administrative permissions
  • KB28458 BlackBerry Desktop Software is unable to detect the BlackBerry Smartphone when user account control is enabled
  • KB28459 BlackBerry Desktop Software is unable to detect the BlackBerry Smartphone when a full version of Roxio® Media Manager is installed 
  • KB28456 BlackBerry Desktop Software is unable to detect the BlackBerry Smartphone when USB selective suspend setting is enabled
  • KB28444 The BlackBerry smartphone is not detected by BlackBerry Desktop Software when connected by USB to a USB hub or a docking station
  • KB28443 BlackBerry Desktop Software cannot detect the BlackBerry smartphone when it is connected via USB
  • KB02640 Troubleshooting USB connections
  • KB15486 Top 10 BlackBerry smartphone and BlackBerry Desktop Manager troubleshooting tips
  • KB00125BlackBerry Desktop Software cannot detect the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB11439 BlackBerry Desktop Software does not detect the BlackBerry smartphone when it is connected
  • KB00019 No PIN displayed in BlackBerry Desktop Redirector
  • KB10938 "USB charging current is insufficient" appears on the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB01451 How to turn on advanced synchronization logging if a wired synchronization fails
  • KB19717 The BlackBerry smartphone is not detected as a USB Mass Storage Device when connected to a computer
  • KB16310 Media Transfer Protocol and the BlackBerry Storm smartphone
  • http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Desktop-Software/Desktop-Manager-quot-disconnected...

Also, check that you are using only root USB ports...no hubs (sometimes the front-side ports are hubs...use a rear USB port). And make sure to try disabling USB power management in your system configuration (Device Manager).

Also check on conflicting software...it has been reported that the software package NTI Shadow&Ninja can cause a conflict; removing them and reinstalling the BB desktop software allows it to install correctly.

Apologies in advance if this is redundant -- there's no way to be sure if you've already seen and tried these. Also apologies if any are not presently available...RIM takes them up and down at will as they revise things.

Hopefully something there is helpful!

Cheers!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well , in device manager i see a question mark. Then I manually updated the driver , by browsing to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\USB Drivers. . But I receive a strange information(This operation requires an interactive windows station) and now I see a explanation mark.

I assume I first have to solve this driver issue? i'm googling it and trying things out... someone maybe a solution?

I'm trying your list you gave me... 

Hall of Famer II

That is extremely unusual, sometimes happened with really really old versions of the Desktop Software, but has not to my knowledge been reported in a very long time. Can you perhaps reveal exactly what you downloaded and installed from Step 3 of what I provided? As well as what you did for Steps 4 and 5? That entire thing is a process, each step requiring success of the prior, and completion of all steps before proceeding with attaching your device. From what you reveal here, I cannot tell if you've done all of the prerequisite steps, nor what the results from each are.

There is also this thread:

It starts with a process for cleanly starting over, and there is some discussion, and there is also a post (15) with links to older Desktop Software versions, if those are needed. Note that this is not, by any means, guaranteed to work...but it has worked for many to resolve issues they are having.

Thanks and let us know.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

version BB dekstop software installed: 

STep 4 and 5 not yet started, as I first have to make sure the BB can be recognized by the BB desktop software.

about step 1 and 2: Backup is not needed, as the BB phone was given to me by my boss , who had nothing important on it, he only used it to call with it.
I never had BB software on my laptop, so there it was not needed to delete BB software from my laptop. 

So I just started with step 3: installing the latest BB desktop software, and connected my BB after I started the software, but BB not regocnized.
Highlighted
Hall of Famer II

[ Edited ]

I guess I didn't say it explicitly enough...don't connect your BB until after step 5, no matter what it says. If it asks to launch the Desktop Software, don't let it. Do all 5 (skipping steps 1 and 2, of course) steps before launching the Desktop Software or LOADER.EXE. Steps 4 and 5 are very very important...they sort of customize the Desktop Software to your specific device, which can often enable it to properly work with your device where not doing those two steps can sometimes cause the Desktop Software to not work with your device (as your situation is).

Also double-check the Desktop Software download. The latest version is "b42", but I'm not positive if that results in the same version number you cited (I'm installing it right now to find out). Further, double check the system requirements and be sure that your computer fully meets them.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Hall of Famer II

OK...install complete. b42 indeed reports as 7.1.0.41, so you have the right version. During my install just now, there was one pop-up regarding an unverified driver...if you got that, please be sure you answered with the "Install Anyway" selection, otherwise something indeed might have been excluded from your install.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK, 

I'm now downloading the OS. I first followed the guidelines on KB05305

for the language.

If I understood correctly: If the software says: multilanguage, then Dutch is included. but accordin to KB05305:
There is no guarantee that languages in the preceding lists will be available with the BlackBerry Device Software specific to your wireless service provider.

strange?

Can I choose AZERTY and not only QWERTY?

As I have selected the proximus provider (latest version software then base and mobistar) :

Software For BlackBerry® Curve™ 8520 smartphone

BlackBerry Handheld Software v5.0.0.1682 (Multilanguage)

later, if I continu to download the software,  I receive this info:

Download Details
Software Name: BlackBerry Handheld Software v5.0.0.1682 (Multilanguage)
File Name: 8520wifiM_PBr5.0.0_rel1682_PL5.2.0.104_A5.0.0.1036_Proximus.exe
Download Size: 129 MB
Language: English
Published Date: 12/20/2010

I have read the KB05305, but to be honest all those options , are not quite obvious to me at this moment:

language pack, wireless service provider.

Can I assume if I have an OS that supports multilanguage, all these option are also included in the OS AND are in Dutch? Why is my wireless service provider  so important for the language? I mean If I'm home and connected to my house network, then if I'm at work and connected to wifi there, or hotspots, ... do I have to check wheter or not alles these network support Dutch language? 

Hmmm, ... .

ADDED:

after instalallation OS: same problem. after restarting laptop: BB desktop software started, BB phone connected : a error on my BB phone: uncaught exception: application net_rim_bb_options_app(213) is not responding; process terminated. clicked OK, then Yes (masstorage), but still not connected to desktop software.

I closed BB desktop software ,I went to device manager and tried again to install the driver manually: this time it worked :-). and BB desktop software opens automatically and informs that I connected a new BB device.

So lets hope it the OS will be installed on the BB:

I disconnected the BB, closed the desktop software  started the software and connected back the BB. nothing happens, only synchroniation symbol on the BB screen.

the BB desktop software does say which softwareversion is installed on the BB : 5.0 package 1682.

It's the same I have downloaded to install:

Software Name: BlackBerry Handheld Software v5.0.0.1682 (Multilanguage)
File Name: 8520wifiM_PBr5.0.0_rel1682_PL5.2.0.104_A5.0.0.1036_Proximus.exe
Download Size: 129 MB
Language: English
Published Date: 12/20/2010

So it means that the language is not supported? Strange, proximus is a provider from Belgium... .
I cannot choose the language on my BB , or I can?

I manually started the upgrade , I have choosen not to make a backup. I also received a message: translated: if you finished , you need to activate your device wirelessly if i want to send and receive emails and use other BB services press cancel if I don't want this.

I pressed 'ok', and the upgrade (of reinstallation of the same version) is buzy now.

installatin finished:

language and text input on BB: 
display screens and menu items in:
english
English (United states)

My typing input language is:
English (United States).

That is all I have of languages.

Hmm

added:

Ok, I followed step 6 (reload), and I could select the language in the list. Great.  After finishing the installation and the BB finished updating, I received a message to choose the language. Great 

No it's in Dutch and I tested out if I pres A, the letter A appears of Q(AZERTY of QWERTY), and it's AZERTY. 

so so far so good.

Now I want to install email. but only option I have is to use a emailaccount that uses BB enterprise server. How can I deselect this option?
I don't get anyother options: for example, office365, or hotmail.com, ... .

I searched for a solution. I found out that I need a BIS account? a Blackberry Internet Service, that I can ask to my provider?

Strange that I first need to have internet service from Blackbery before I can see the options to setup an emailaccount.

I receive this after folowwing the steps: 
registration message queued. it will be sent once data coverage is available.

Why can't I set my email using WI-FI, without worrying  first to add the possibility to be able to add an emailaccount?

Are all the blackberry like this (difficult to setup)?

I still didn't put a SIM card in the phone. I'm connected to WIFI. Is there a possibility to add an emailaccount without the BIS?

I have Base and 3G is included. So if I inset my SIMcard in the BB , then the registration will succeed?

Hmmm... .

it seems wifi is not working. I mean the connection is established with my wifirouter, but if i brows the internet on the BB, I get a message ( cannot make connection with internet; try again later, .... ).

What is wrong?