Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: vodaphone

Unwanted calls

My son keeps getting unwanted PPI calls. most of them have a number but sometimes it says 'unknown'. Can you please tell me if there is a way to ban/block all incoming calls (including 'unknown') except the numbers that are in his address/contact book?
Or if that's not possible - if he were to get a new SIM does that mean he would have to get a new BBM number and have to add all his contacts again? thanks
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: Unwanted calls

I also get many unwanted calls. I get about 5 to 10 calls per day that are annoying. Most are robocalls, or someone trying to sell me something. Once in a while I get some fraud calls trying to fool me to give out private information, or allow them on to my computer.  I have this issue, and so do many other's that I know of.

With the way global communications are working and the availablity for phone number and name listings, we are all open to have unsolicited phone calls coming to us. With a new number it is the question of time until the solicitors will find it.

I remember seeing in the past some call blocking software for the Blackberry Bold and older models. This software allows you to tag numbers and add them to a list where the phone is commanded to not respond. I never tried these, and thus I cannot tell you how well they work. I don't know if there is a version yet for the Z10. The average cost for the programs was about $2.00 to $5.00 from what I remember.

Blocking calls is an issue especially with a cell phone. With the home phone some service providers offer a call blocking option. With "unknown" they cannot be blocked.

You can go to the phone company and have the cell phone number changed on the SIM card of the phone. This will affect billing, and require the plan to be changed. I am sure they will charge for this. You would have to negotiate with them.

Jerry G.
Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: Unwanted calls

mumsgirl wrote:
My son keeps getting unwanted PPI calls. most of them have a number but sometimes it says 'unknown'. Can you please tell me if there is a way to ban/block all incoming calls (including 'unknown') except the numbers that are in his address/contact book?
Or if that's not possible - if he were to get a new SIM does that mean he would have to get a new BBM number and have to add all his contacts again? thanks

Hello mumsgirl

To Block specific call or to activate Call Blocking feature you have to contact your Wireless Service provider but on our BlackBerry devices you can Install certain Call Blocking application like @ Phone Warrior or @Call blocker  etc which are indeed available in BlackBerry World ,those are good enough to block any Unknown call or messages to your device .Some free and paid application are available which you can try to see if those fulfill you need before going for a new SIM or Numbers.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.