Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
Chynare
My Device: Not Specified

Update to v4.5.0.169. Lost Brickbreaker and a bunch of other apps were deleted or removed...

Including all my contacts, etc. after the update occurred. Erased my screen picture...saved photos..everything. So I went looking in the questions here to find something that would help and found the information I put in italics below.... but it did not work because when I got to the device application selection, there were only 2 check boxes! (Email Set Up and Telus Portal by PocketExpress) There were no games or attachment services. Therefore I have nothing to select. How do I get the brick game back..any other apps...and how do I prevent this from happening in the future????

kijana I hope you're reading this because you really helped me last time! ((((((-:

(go to C Drive: Program Files: Common Files: Research in Motion: App Loader and double click on loader.exe.

Plug in the device

Go through the steps till you get to device application selection. You see alot of check boxes.

Here you will have things like games and attachment services, make sure you put ticks in these boxes. Anything you don't tick will not go onto the device.

Finish the setup and it will install the things u selected.)

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Update to v4.5.0.169. Lost Brickbreaker and a bunch of other apps were deleted or removed...

Depending on how you performed the backup and how you answered the questions it asked when you did it, you may or may not have a backup from which to restore some of your data. Search your entire hard drive for a file with an IPD extension (*.IPD). Inspect the results for the data/time of the files. If there is one that was created around the time you did the update, then that can be used as your source for restore:

• KB10339 How to restore data from a backup file to a BlackBerry smartphone

This won't get everything, but it will get your contacts, calendar, etc. If you have no IPD file, then all is lost...sorry.

If you have installed your device OS package atop DTM, then you can launch DTM and use the app loader to re-install any of the missing core apps (and perhaps some of the add ons). Other 3rd party apps you might have to re-acquire from wherever you got them in the first place. If you go into AppWorld, MyWorld will show you any paid apps you had and you can reinstall them from there. Free apps may or may not show in MyWorld, but you can freely get them again.

If you have not installed your device OS package atop DTM, then you should do so.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
kijanasmart
My Device: 8330

Re: Update to v4.5.0.169. Lost Brickbreaker and a bunch of other apps were deleted or removed...

Chynare, you are in excellent hands with sdgardne. He is one the best contributers on the forums so follow his advice carefully :smileyhappy:

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Chynare

Thank you both. I will message after I've followed your instructions. Some of the 'language' such as IPD (I am a new BB owner) but I will try. In the meantime, here is the info I receive in my update email. I clicked the link and followed the instructions. Basically all I was asked to do was accept the install and click "run". There were no questions to answer. Unfortunately I just read at the bottom that they state something pretty major, in the fine print, of course. Nice of them. But it says that user loaded content is not affected which was not the case as it took out all my contacts... and facebook is gone. And it removed the apps I had put on after I bought the phone. I am annoyed that the brickbreaker is gone since my children enjoyed it in long line ups at the bank,etc. I am not impressed with this update.

•                Although nearly all applications will still work, there are some that will not work as expected on the new software.

•                As part of RIM’s memory management program, all RIM preloaded content is removed from the device (i.e. preloaded video, wallpapers and music [ring tones remain]). User loaded content is not affected. These can be added by going to mobile.blackberry.com, selecting ‘Personalize’, and then selecting ‘wallpapers’

BIS CLIENTS (Using ordinary email accounts like Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail etc) please follow the steps outlined on www.blackberry.com/update

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Chynare

Hello!

I did have an IPD file and it brought back my calendar but no contacts.

I am sorry I don't know what DTM is, so I am a little lost there as to what you are referring in your second comment.

I have found facebook and some other apps. I am still looking for brick breaker too.

You must get so tired of newbies!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

DTM = Desktop Manager...the software from RIM that you used to read that IPD file and restore your calendar. It is odd that it did not have your contacts as well...was the date/time of the file around the time of the update?

To find your carriers device OS update package, go through this portal:

and download the package that is for your BB. It will install atop DTM and modify DTM to match your specific model and carrier. That way, DTM can present to you appropriate minor updates in the future.

Then, inside of DTM, you should be able to use the Application Loader component to browse through the various apps that should be on your device and select those that you desire. When you launch AppLoader (from within DTM), it will first "talk" to your BB and see if it needs any updates (by comparing what is on board to what you installed re:the OS package as well as comparing on-line). After that, there will be a screen with a button for you to press..."Settings"? or maybe "Advanced"? I'm not sure...just don't yet click "Next" and instead inspect those others. One of them will show you a list of all of the things on your BB along with their status. You should be able to find those you desire and check the box next to them, which will then re-install them when you then do click "Next".

It is always wise to take a manual backup on a regular basis, especially if you are using only your BB for your data and not synchronixing with a desktop PIM (e.g., Outlook).

• KB12487 How to backup data on a BlackBerry smartphone

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help...not having your device and PC in front of me makes it pretty tough...but patience will win out, I am sure!

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Chynare

The file was on the same day as the update. I assumed it was a backup done before the update but it seems to be a backup of the updated content. I wonder why?

I have manually retrieved all of my lost apps now, and have re-entered most of my contacts manually. What a pain. I still can't find brick breaker anywhere though and will continue to look. I guess it's not a huge loss but we did enjoy the little game.

I will go into DTM and follow the steps you have outlined. I'll be back to give some kudos, too. I really like this forum. You guys really know your stuff and I'm amazed at how quickly you answer with the good ideas....and you don't make the beginners feel silly for not knowing the basics. That's really great. Thank you..:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
kijanasmart
My Device: 8330

Brickbreaker comes as part of the OS installation. It can be installed/uninstalled from using Add/Remove a program: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB15172

Are any other programs missing on your phone that you can't get to install e.g. memo pad, tasks, etc. ?

How exactly did you update your phone's OS? Did you download the OS installer manually, install it on your computer and then update the phone? Or did you just connect the phone to the pc and let desktop manager automatically download and install the update? The manual download usually works better since you can guarantee all the pre-packaged apps/programs for your phone will be available.

I would go here, access your service providers website to download the latest OS for your phone: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Please use plain text.