Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Visitor
ayeleighhh
My Device: Curve 8900

Updating Software is taking forever..

I'm trying to update my software from my Curve8900 and it said it would take up to 2 hours.. That was 5 hours ago and it's only at 3%. I took the battery out to see if I could escape this but it won't work. No matter what I do it just continues to go back to this software update. Can someone please help? Is there any hope?

Retired
FrankieS
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Updating Software is taking forever..

Hi ayeleighhh,

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Are you still experiencing this issue?

If so, try backing up your BlackBerry via the Desktop Software and reloading/updating your device software via computer using one of the following methods. http://bbry.lv/chTUpu or http://bbry.lv/bQsEnj

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
farahchaudhry
My Device: Bold 9930

HI, My BB bold is also having a problem in updating. It has been saying 8% back up complete for 3 hours now.. I tried removing the battery, and putting it back - it just doesnt allow me to go back to the home screen or do anything. Please advise.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

farahchaudhry wrote:
HI, My BB bold is also having a problem in updating. It has been saying 8% back up complete for 3 hours now.. I tried removing the battery, and putting it back - it just doesnt allow me to go back to the home screen or do anything. Please advise.

(Credit JSanders)

There are two methods of recovery for you to try:

One:

• Open Blackberry Desktop Software & Connect your device with PC using USB cable, without inserting battery.
  • You will get three option Retry, Update Or Cancel, then click on update.
  • Once it is to the stage of the update "initializing handheld", then insert battery.
  • If this does not work, and you remain stuck on the backing up the Social Feeds database, go to the second method below.

Secondly:

• Start your BlackBerry in Safe mode.  Article ID: KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Modehttp://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB17877
  • Connect to the BlackBerry Desktop Software and allow your handheld to connect. If you are prompted to upgrade, cancel the upgrade for later.
  • IF you cannot connect or your Desktop Software does not recognize your device while in Safe Mode, please follow the directions here to force the detect:  Article ID: KB10144 How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader
  • Go to Device > delete > SELECT DATA > select to delete both the Social Feeds and Smart Card databases, and follow the remaining prompts to complete it. 
  • Now, you can return and click to upgrade the device through the Desktop Manager, or reboot the BlackBerry in normal mode and continue the over the air upgrade.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
mmchan
My Device: Torch 9810

HI - I just tried it with the desktop download and it's still now working. Now I'm looking at the screen that says "Erasing applications" for over 2 hours already and the green bar is still only about a quarter done only.  The blackberry is completely turned off, plugged into the computer and won't turn on.  It's totally shot. What else can we do so that I can use the blackberry again? It has been more than 24 hours that this software update has been going on and during this process, I have absolutely no access to the phone at all.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

mmchan wrote:

HI - I just tried it with the desktop download and it's still now working. Now I'm looking at the screen that says "Erasing applications" for over 2 hours already and the green bar is still only about a quarter done only.  The blackberry is completely turned off, plugged into the computer and won't turn on.  It's totally shot. What else can we do so that I can use the blackberry again? It has been more than 24 hours that this software update has been going on and during this process, I have absolutely no access to the phone at all.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please try the steps in post 4 above. If the BB truly will not power on, then you may first need to do this:

Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain a known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
mmchan

Thanks. I ended up just disconnecting the blackberry after it got stuck....took the battery out and reinserted it....then plugged it back in.  I did this a few times and it finally went through.  The entire process literally took more than 24 hours! This was horrible.  It was so horrible that I took pictures during various times and created a Facebook album called "Chronicle of Blackberry Software Update" to show the various screens where it was stuck.  This was by far the most horrible experience I have with any software update.

New Contributor
holly84
My Device: curve 9360

I'm having the exact same problem...stuck on backing up 7% social feeds. it's a absolute nightmare!!! i can't even get my phone in to safe mode :smileysad:((((
New Contributor
mmchan

That's exactly what happened to me yesterday.....so I ended up taking out the battery and reinserting it twice.  It finished the backup in another 3 hours.  Then it was in the other screen for like 8 hours (I took pictures at different times to show - my pictures are still on facebook).  I ended up downloading the desktop manager and re-update via the desktop manager. Doing the update wirelessly just simply won't work.  Blackberry screen always tells you "this process will take a few minutes but don't disconnect your blackberry...it will cause the phone not to work" or something like that.  At first, I followed the instructions but then realized that i wasn't losing anything since it was just stuck and couldn't turn it on. I disconnected it several times....took out the battery several times.....then finally the process worked again and finished the update.  The last time when I did that, the software update only took about 20 mins total.  Something was definitely not right during this update but I just don't know where...and it seems like a lot of people are experiencing the same thing.

New Contributor
holly84
My Device: curve 9360

please help, i've been trying different things all day and nothing works :womansad: loosing my patience now!!!