Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
harryarry
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Vodaphone

Updating Software on a Curve 8520

Currently have version v5.0.0.681 and need at least version v5.0.0.997 so I can use Bighand app. Desktop says there is no update available? Is there a way I can update the software?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: Updating Software on a Curve 8520

Hi harryarry

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

Those updates or OS availability depends on our Carrier , maybe your Carrier had not yet released the desired OS you're looking for . However if you want to update then you can do it by using any other Carrier OS pack . Follow those steps to update your device :

1.You can download an OS pack ( ver. 5.0.0.1096) from here    Software Download from Redington (India) Limited

• (make sure you are downloading for the same model as you have )

2. Now Double Click  on the file that you Downloaded to Install it on your PC

3. Download and install the latest BlackBerry desktop software from here BlackBerry desktop software

• Then using desktop software perform your full backup of your device.

4.Search your C: Drive for any Vendor.xml files and delete them, there may be one or two vendor.xml ( On your PC change your folders option to show hidden files / folders  :

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\Windows UserName\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

5. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader. (For 64-bit Vista or Windows 7, the path       will be C: > Program Files x86 > Common Files > Research In Motion > AppLoader) double click Loader.exe

Upgrade will continue then After Installation of New OS restore your backup using BlackBerry desktop

Software.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
harryarry
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Vodaphone

Hi there

Thank you for the reply.

I have just tried downloading the OS but they all say for East Asia? Im in the UK is this a problem?

Thanks

Andy

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Hey Andy

No problem with those , east Asian OS pack consist everything as European But in addition those east Asian will offer some additional languages. Later on if you don't need those languages you can remove it , using Desktop software or from device itself.

So, please try it.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.