Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
obiBunch
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8330
Accepted Solution

Using curve as a modem. What is the low-down?

Need to be on the enterprise network?

Going on vaca. Would like to use with the laptop if possible:smileyhappy:

New Contributor
jburt
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Using curve as a modem. What is the low-down?

I used my Curve last week as a modem and was able to use my netbook with no problem.  There was a great section in the help to explain how to set it up.  i would suggest trying to upload photos or live-stream.  It was great for internet and emails.

it does drain the battery quickly.  Also, you cannot navigate the internet if you receive a call.

Simple to connect, be sure the desktop manager software is running and connected to phone via USB.  Connect using the local area connection and the dial up is *777.  Just enter your password and you are ready to roll.  

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

See this KB:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB05178

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
obiBunch

• To connect a computer to the Internet using a General Packet Radio Service (GPRS), Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution (EDGE), or Universal Mobile Telecommunications Service (UMTS) BlackBerry smartphone as a tethered modem, see KB05196.
  • To connect a computer to the Internet using a Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) or Evolution Data Optimized (EVDO) BlackBerry smartphone as a tethered modem, see KB04664.

um, I have not one clue what service I would be using ie: GPRS, UMTS, etc.

I have a basic unlimited usage plan with Verizon.

This is all really foreign to me.

Any further links that provide instruction on determining what type of  service one is using?

Thanks.

Contributor
obiBunch

Do you have a basic plan for personal use or is this an enterprise account? Do you know if that would matter?

I looked at the help section and it seems I  need a lot more info before I begin.  Thanks.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Since you are on VZW, the instruction set for you to follow would be the CDMA set. I can't tell you if you have an adequate plan from VZW to allow this functionality...try it and, if it does not work, contact VZW and ask if your plan with them allows you to use your BB as a tethered modem for your PC. They can then tell you if you have an adequate plan and the various costs associated with using it.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code