Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
andrearoy
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Using my Curve as a Modem...

I just got my Curve a week ago and was told by the salesman at alltel that I could download software to my phone to use it as a modem, but now I can't get any support or help with this.  I am running  Vista on my laptop and I need to do this as I will be travelling and go to college online.  Can anyone tell me how I contact a person or get some kind of help?  I would really appreciate it.  I'm about to throw the phone away and cancel my travel plans.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
selly

Re: Using my Curve as a Modem...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
timbuck2

I can't give you an answer concerning where to find the software. But, as a college student who travels all week and has taken an online course or two, I can offer the folling advice: Using the BB as a modem will work, but it is usually about as fast as dial-up. This might not be fast enough for some online courses-especially ones that have streaming video lectures, as an example. Plus, doing research for term papers at those slow speeds can be painfully slow and time consuming. Although it's not as convenient (and is more expensive), I've had far better luck seeking out good quality Wi-fi hotspots to take care of my classwork. The extra time you spend finding one will be partially offset by the ability to spend less time online due to the much faster connection. But, everyone has different needs and what works well for me may not be best for someone else. Good luck with your studies.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
andrearoy

Thanks for the advice, Tim!!  I just started in February and it's going well, but my husband is a regional truck driver and wants me to go on the road with him this summer.  Since my classes continue through the summer, I had to come up with something to be able to do my homework and 60 bucks a month for a 2-year contract was more than I wanted to spend since I'll only need it for 6 weeks, and when we got the curves, they told us that I could use it as a  modem and just pay 10 a month.  Much better. 

I got it working, though.  Yay!!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
andrearoy

Selly;

That was just what I needed.  I appreciate the help very much.  Thank you!!!!!  It did work, but I clicked the wrong solution button because my mouse is somewhat hyper and my cursor jumped.  I tried to fix it, but it didn't work.  Let me know if you know a way to make yours the solution to my problem. 

Please use plain text.