Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

jtwills2
My Device: curve 9320
Accepted Solution

Using the Calendar/datebook when you don't have a Data plan.

Hi All,  I just got  a BB Curve 9320 model to replace my dead LG.  I use the phone for my convenience only but I fondly remember my old Palm Pilot and it's wonderful Calendar application that let me keep track of my life and where I was supposed to be and when.  I had hoped that the Curve would be able to do the same thing with it's calendar function.  I thought that using the BB desktop and plugging the Curve into my laptop to enable them to communicate that I would have the same function as the Palm Pilot did in my previous life.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to get this to operate as I had envisioned...........am I doing something wrong or without the data plan is this just not possible?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Using the Calendar/datebook when you don't have a Data plan.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

What is inaccurate is your expectation...what you expect is not a designed functionality...a few things to discuss...so bear with me...

Contrary to how others do things, RIM does not provide a desktop PIM. Others force you to use their PIM and only their PIM. RIM provides a conduit software that functions as a bridge between your chosen PIM and the BB. See this KB for compatible PIM's:

• KB12268 Applications supported by BlackBerry Desktop Manager for synchronization

So, to do what you desire requires the use of a desktop PIM to manage your data...choose a compatible PIM (from above). Then, get your data into the desktop PIM. Then, configure the BB to sync with the PIM:

• KB03315 How to synchronize organizer data (calendar, task list, memo list, and contact list) using the BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
jtwills2
My Device: curve 9320

a sincere thank you to BB support forum in general and huge round of applause to "SDgardne" in particular.  I suppose it's 4th time lucky, 'cause that is how many times I thought I had downloaded the correct BB desktop software and nothing happened.  This time it downloaded properly and syncced almost by itself, my contact list is current (and the same in both places)and the calendar (Outlook/Hotmail)appears to be functioning as I had hoped it would.  Thank you again for your support and let's hope that this homegrown Cdn. product can keep jogging along.....

Cheers, J.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

You are most welcome indeed...best of luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code