Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
DanMoody
My Device: 8520 Curve
My Carrier: Orange Romania
Accepted Solution

Very awkward BIS issue

[ Edited ]

Hello there. I'm posting here because in my opinion is the last thing I have left to do.

Not sure if there's any short story of this but I'll try to keep it that way.

Since this afternoon BIS isn't registering my phone anymore. It says "edge" insead of "EDGE". My BIS data plan was activated like 2 days ago and worked just fine untill now.

I called at support from my local operator, they've sent me the service books like twice and obviously I did the basics before testing it (taking off battery). Nothing happend. Called 3rd time, they've told me it has nothing to do with them anymore cause that's all they can do.

The real awkward thing is that, the instant I connect to my personal WIFI, bberry email, bbm, whatsapp, yahoo messenger, browsing, absolutely everything, works AS IT SHOULD work on BIS. The second I disconnect from my wifi, there's no more internet on it. No more BBM, no more nothing.

I even tried a wipe. That didn't worked either.

To be honest this is kind of my last hope before throwing it from 10th floor, because this is **bleep** me off. :smileysad:

LE: After wipe "the trick" with connecting to my wifi doesn't work anymore since all service books are gone. Trying to register again doesn't work either, as was I saying.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Very awkward BIS issue

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

It continues to amaze me, Carrier Agents fobbing off their paying customers this way. Amazing!

Look at it this way...you PAY your carrier for 100% of your services and 100% of your formal support. Right now, they are delivering neither to you! You should ring them back up and insist that they honor the contractual commitment that they have with you. They have the power to escalate cases that they cannot resolve into RIM, at no fee to the end user. End users have only one channel for formal support...via the carrier.

So, ring them back up...but, this time, don't let them fob you off. With all that you have described, only they can actually resolve this situation.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
DanMoody

I will, but tomorrow I guess. I know it may not resolve by itself, but I'm willin to give it a shot. I'm pretty busy anyway because since I wiped it, I have to organize everything again (did a backup but I had my own folders in which I've sorted my apps.)

I'm pretty much dissapointed because I came back home in Romania for a week now (curently living in Spain) and... Right. Point is I've never had this kind of issues back in Spain.

Welcome to Romania they said. It'll be fun a short holiday they said.

Anyway, I'll give them another ring tomorrow morning. I'll update this topic aswell with further info. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

One other thing I would try is to swap out your SIM card for a new one. In some cases, users have reported that simply swapping out the SIM card for a new one has resolved similar issues.

Another possibility is that some critical file has become corrupted somehow, which is preventing your phone from connecting to the BlackBerry data network. In this case, reloading the software on the device can help. To do this, follow the instructions in this link:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Device-software-for-BlackBerry/How-To-Reload-Your-Operating-S...

Now then, if you try all of that and it still doesn't work, the problem is 99% likely to lie with your carrier. I had a similar issue before where there was just one single setting that was off on the carrier's end. This occurred after a device switch, so the device simply hadn't been ported over. Once they figured that out, I was up and running in no time at all.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DanMoody

Accidentaly clicked the "Accept as solution button".

Anyway, I cannot switch SIMs because that would mean to pay another data plan on another SIM. Maybe I will do that if I don't have any others solutions left, but for the moment I won't.

2nd, BIS worked just fine till this afternoon. I went on a quick nap and when I woke up it wasn't working anymore. A file could corrupt by itself just like that?

My device was unlocked 2-3 days ago btw, because it was locked on Vodafone Spain, but as I was saying it was working just fine.

I'll will give a try to your tutorial tho. After a ciggarette break.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

DanMoody wrote:

Accidentaly clicked the "Accept as solution button".

Un-clicked for you!

DanMoody wrote:

Anyway, I cannot switch SIMs because that would mean to pay another data plan on another SIM. Maybe I will do that if I don't have any others solutions left, but for the moment I won't.

The suggestion is actually to replace the SIM...sometimes they go bad. A replacement should not cost anything, I'd think.

DanMoody wrote:

My device was unlocked 2-3 days ago btw, because it was locked on Vodafone Spain, but as I was saying it was working just fine.

Oh....some more details are needed. To what carrier was your BB originally assigned? And, to which carrier are you presently trying to operate it on? And, which carrier SIM are you using? And which carrier BIS account is active?

These details might be quite important indeed. For instance, if your BB originated in Spain, and you are now trying to use it in Romania, then you might have, for that short period, have been receiving BIS service from your Spain account, but they finally "caught on" and blocked it (either Spain or Romania might have done so). So the exact details of your situation might well be critical...using a BB on a different network can be tricky indeed, and some very specific things must happen in order for it to work right. For instance as well, if your BIS account remains active in Spain, then the Romania carrier will not be able to create a BIS account for you...only one BB PIN can exist anywhere in the world in only one carrier BIS system...

Thanks and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

sdgardne is correct re: the unlocked phone issue. Another thing to try might be to contact the original carrier to ask them to release your PIN from their network if it is still locked to their network. That will enable your PIN to be activated on your new network.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DanMoody

It was originaly assigned on Vodafone Spain and curently using Orange Romania. These are two different "carriers"\operators.

So it worked for 2 days just because they didn't "cought" me? What can I do now? If I take your explanation really serious, that might be the actually problem, but what can I do?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DanMoody

Right. If there's any way to contact Vodafone Spain through web, I'll give it a try. As I was sayin, it sounds legit to me aswell. That should be the problem. I'll send them an email or something and I'll back when I got further info.

Got a headacke already.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are on the right track...contact the Spain carrier and make sure 100% that they have closed that BIS account and released the PIN from their BIS system. Then contact the Romania carrier to see about getting full BIS services from them.

Fortunately, according to the Orange Romania official BB OS download site, they (Orange Romania) fully support your specific model of BB...which will help avoid a whole different headache that could have otherwise come about!

FYI...if/when you return to Spain, you will have to do this all over again, but in the other direction (release PIN from Romania, assign back to Spain).

Good luck and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.