Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
BigKahuna
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Video Format Question

I have a BlackBerry 8310 Curve with a 4gb Micro SD card.  The device recognizes and plays MP3 music that was purchased from Amazon.com, however it has a problem with MP4 videos.  I have purchased DVD converting software from CuCusoft.com and have converted several DVD's to a movie MP4 format.  The device recognizes the movie title, however I receive an "Error" message when I try to play the movie, which makes me think it may be an MP4 formatting issue.

I have tried Lexar, SanDisk, and Transcend 4 gb Micro SD cards and have received the same message.

I did not have this problem with the original software that came with the phone.

The problem seems to have occurred when I downloaded the latest version of software from the BlackBerry site that was supposed to allow this phone to recognize an 8gb Micro SD card.  However, I was not able to get the device to properly recognize an 8 gb card even with the new software installed.

Any information regarding what format the BlackBerry needs to recognize and play DVD's converted to MP4's would be appreciated.

The format "MP4" is very general as there are about 15 different types of MP4 formats available within the converter software I purchased so I am interested in a specific type of MP4 formatting that I need to do in order to enjoy movies on my BlackBerry.

Thank you,

BigKahuna

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran III
urumilton
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Re: Video Format Question

Here is the link with all the supported formats

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB05482&sliceId=1&docTy...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BigKahuna

urumilton,

Thank you for the quick response and link to the supported formats section on BlackBerry.

This information will be very helpful.

Regards,

Big Kahuna

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran III
urumilton
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Thank you, if you need anything else only ask, you are welcome
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Please use plain text.
akesablyan

I have one big question, what is the largest video format supported by mobile phones today.

a. 3gp?

b. mp4?

c  mov?

d other?
 if other specify ____________________ :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

akesablyan wrote:

I have one big question, what is the largest video format supported by mobile phones today.

a. 3gp?

b. mp4?

c  mov?

d other?
 if other specify ____________________ :smileyhappy:

Hi and Welcome to the forums?

Can you explain what exactly you mean by "largest"? The referenced KB above lists all of the compatible formats...you can check them to see what formats are supported to meet your needs. Plus, this forum can only discuss capabilities of BB's...not all "mobile phones today".

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
oposky2006

there may some codec problem

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
auntieannie2
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: t-mobile pre pay

I have the same problem, I tried to convert files to mp4 using different encoding standards, I transferred the converted video files to my BB8520 using  windows explorer but when I try to play them  I  get the message that the videos are not the right format. The only one that plays is a short video I recorded with my digital camera that I converted to mp4.  I think it would help greatly if there were specific examples of the encoding one should do. Could someone just tell me in simple steps how they got their DVD's and videos transferred and playing? I am just not that technically savvy, nor do I want to become an engineer just to be alble to use my 8520. If I try to use the BB desktop software for encoding, I get a message that there is an error encoding 'either because there is  not enought space or  the phone has been disconnected' from the computer. Neither of these is true when I check the settings. I have a 32gb micrsd card that works fine with music and pictures. I've tried "any video converter", FAB gold and some other converter  programs, but no go. Assistance would be greatky appreciated.

Please use plain text.