Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
Jodster
My Device: Curve 8900
Accepted Solution

WIFI curve 8900

Can you use the wifi system if you don't have the data plan? I have the curve 8900 for AT&T. I am new to the Blackberry's.

Jodster

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,951
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: WIFI curve 8900

Yes, you 8900 will connect to your WiFi network with a data plan. You can use the browser in Hotspot mode.

On your device > Options > Advanced > Browser > Hotspot.

You can use the internet browser that way, not push email or many of the other BlackBerry functions that need a full data plan.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Jodster

So if I don't have the data plan and  I hook into my wireless at home will I be charged for using the intenet from my carrier?
Please use plain text.
Developer
johnbibs
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800

if your device is hooked in wifi, definitely all native applications of your blackberry such as Browser, Yahoo messenger, facebook, blackberry messenger and the likes will use your wifi and you will not be charged by your carrier.

unless you are hooked into you wireless but Internet service of your wireless is not available then the Blackberry will not inform you that you are not connected to the internet via wifi. it will automatically pass through the operator where you will be charged for it. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Jodster

So if I unhook form my carrie and then log into the wifi will it still jump if the wifi is service is unavailable?  Thank you so much for answering all of my questions. I really appriecate it.
Please use plain text.
Developer
johnbibs
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800

You're welcome. :smileyhappy: are you asking if you disabled your mobile network and you log into the wifi but the wifi service is unavailable, will you still be able to browser the internet? did i get that right? 

if that's the one you are asking, the answer is no. if your disconnected to your carrier but you are connected to your wifi, but the wifi doesn't have internet service then basically you are still disconnected to the internet. 

Please use plain text.