Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9330
My Carrier: Airtel
Accepted Solution

Want to use normal 3G plan with blackberry

Hi,
I have BlackBerry Curve 9330 phone. I want to use this phone for GPS(using
google maps). Can use normal airtel 3G data plan for GPS. I don't want to take
blackberry data plan, since I only use GPS on my phone except normal voice services.

Highlighted
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Want to use normal 3G plan with blackberry

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

You will need to talk to your mobile service provider. Some do not allow any BBs onto their network without a full BB-data plan. Others may allow you to have a generic data plan.

Further, you need to check your desired GPS app...if it will work with a generic data plan, then it should work fine if your carrier allows you to (as per the above). If the app requires a full BB data plan, then that would be required. It depends on your GPS app...the GPS itself in the device simply receives signals from the GPS satellites...it is up to the GPS app to process that information and combine it with map data that it obtains via your data connection.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code