Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
sandman82
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8350i

Weird problem only during calls

[ Edited ]

I really need help as this is a strange problem and I can't find anybody online that seems to have had the same symptoms or have a clue what's wrong! My phone works flawlessly including the audio when played to the earpiece or speakerphone while playing sounds or music. When I make calls, however, the other caller sounds like an echoey, sped up record, like chipmunks, and is garbled and not understandable. They also say they can't hear me when I talk. I also know the mic works fine as the voice recorder and voice Google search works flawlessly. It sounds the same during calls whether it's using the handset speaker, speakerphone, wired headset, OR connected to bluetooth! I need my phone! Anybody have any ideas? The only way to describe the sound is to hear it so here is a link to an audio file I recorded while trying to make a call...

http://www.mediafire.com/file/djmmmzwadgm/My%208350i%20Audio%20During%20Calls.mp3

Message Edited by sandman82 on 08-30-2009 10:54 AM
Forums Advisor III
kijanasmart
My Device: 8330

Re: Weird problem only during calls

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the forums sandman82  :smileyhappy:

First of all try Battery Pull:
1. Remove the battery while phone is turned on
2. Wait a few seconds before inserting it again
3. Allow the long boot up process to finish (takes a few minutes usually)

This clears most software issues that occur on blackberries from time to time. You could also use Quickpull, a free app that simulates a battery pull without physically removing the battery: http://software.crackberry.com/product.asp?id=27660
A battery pull reclaims memory lost during application usage and clears minor software errors that creep in over time. The blackberry runs an OS just like your PC runs windows and the battery pull is the equivalent of a reboot/restart on your computer.

if that doesn't work, from the home screen press the green dial button. In the call log window, press menu/blackberry button and go to options. In the general options see what settings are there for "enhanced audio". Also see if TTY and Hearing Aid Mode are enabled/disabled.

post back with your findings :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by kijanasmart on 08-30-2009 11:29 AM
Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
New Contributor
sandman82
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8350i

[ Edited ]

I actually don't have an "enhanced audio" option anywhere that I can find. The TTY is set to "no" though. I have done several battery pulls. Here is what I've tried so far so I don't get repeat suggestions...

-Hard Reset (Battery pull while on)

-Downgraded operating system

-Wiped phone with Jl_Cmder then reinstalled newest operating system

-Wipe Handheld using handheld menu option

-Master Radio Reset from menu option

Another note I just thought of: when making a call or switching from/to handset or speakerphone, sometimes there is a hard "pop" sound and then audio is completely gone and not even the bad audio can be heard.

I have also found other forums for other model phones where the wired headset jack gets stuck and causes loss of audio problems so I've tried working on the audio jack. It has actually made a difference to some degree: the audio changed to a different lower pitch and was a little bit easier to understand but then goes back to the same pitch and sound later.

From what I know about phones and computer stuff, it seems to me that the phone is having a hard time taking the digital phone signal and converting it to analog sound. And vice versa for the mic on calls. Like the converter is corrupt or something?

Message Edited by sandman82 on 08-30-2009 12:19 PM
Forums Advisor III
kijanasmart
My Device: 8330

It may be a hardware problem if you have tried JL_Cmdr to wipe the phone. Check with your service provider for warranty support.

Just in case, you can try clean installation of your OS: www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB11320

And after reloading the OS, avoid restoring the backup...it may have corrupt databases that are causing issues. Restore selective database backups only (e.g. contacts & calendar): http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10339

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)