Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

What Is Mass Storage Mode???

What is mass storage mode?  i have just inserted a micro sd card, and i got a message asking me:

"Do you want to turn on Mass Storage Mode?  You might not be able to access some media files in this mode."

What should I say?  What is this, and what does it do?  If i say yes, what "media files may i not be able to access" then?

Solutions: 6,096
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: What Is Mass Storage Mode???

Say yes,

Mass Storage Mode allows your Media Card to be used simply as another removable drive on your PC, when your BB is connected to the PC via USB. The PC will see the Media Card as a drive (could be named "BlackBerry" and a letter like e, f, g, etc)./

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Don't worry about not being able to access media files in mass storage mode: I too have a micro SD card (2Go) and I can access whatever files there is in my device: pictures, mp3...anything. The message just means the device can't use the storage content while your device is being connected to your computer. (i.e.: you have a ringtone located on the storage card, it won't play if you receive a call while your device is connected to your computer).

Regular Contributor

but if i say yes, what does "media files may i not be able to access" mean then?  how/will that affect me in any way?

sniper8752 wrote:
but if i say yes, what does "media files may i not be able to access" mean then?  how/will that affect me in any way?

Read the above post again... "means the device can't use the storage content while your device is being connected to your computer. (i.e.: you have a ringtone located on the storage card, it won't play if you receive a call while your device is connected to your computer)."

Or, if you have a wallpaper from your Media Card set on your homescreen, while you are connected to the USB, the homescreen will default back to the default image for the theme since the one on your Media Card can't be read while connected.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor

thats dumb! they should change that.

Change what? The fact that two devices cannot access the media card at the same time?

It was designed that way, so your BB OS is not trying to write to or read what your PC is, at the same time, trying to write to or read.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Say yes to M/S, it will allow to to view all your files, if you don't use M/S you wont have access to some of your files.
Contributor

I can not view my SD card through the phone.  I can connect my phone via USB and use DeskTop Manager to Sync, backup, restore, etc. but I do not see the storage device in Windows Explorer as a drive of any sort.  Without Desktop Manager running, windows recongnizes the phone and lets me know the hardware is available for use but does not appear as a drive that I can access. 

Is this caused by a driver issue?

Thanks...

Neil 

Contributor

I would suggest the following steps:

• Remove the SD card
  • Reboot the device
  • Put the SD card back in
  • When asked if you want to turn on Mass Storage, say Yes
  • Connect your device to your computer

If it doesn't work, make sure your SD card is functionnal by inserting it in a SD card reader.