Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Visitor
Axxel
My Device: Curve 8900

What data is stored on the sd card?

I am worried about losing important data from my curve 8900 memo pad, as well as call logs.  Is this information stored on the sd card and accessable by just plugging the sd card into my computer card reader?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: What data is stored on the sd card?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

There are three types of potential memory on a BB: 1) Application Memory, 2) Device Memory, and 3) Media/SD Card Memory.

Application Memory -- This is the most crucial; it is the protected (not user accessible), dedicated, and fixed (in size) space that is available as the destination for the installation of applications (plus some application storage, overhead and such). You cannot touch AppMemory. You cannot improve the maximum AppMemory that your BB has. It is what it is. Applications can only install here...there is no option.

Device Memory -- This is space on your BB that you can touch to store files, pictures, media, etc. Typically, it is not terribly large, but it is available to you.

SD/Media Card Memory -- This is what it says...your SD card, for you to store files, media, pictures, etc. It can be as large as your BB OS can support...see this KB:

• KB05461MicroSD card sizes supported by the BlackBerry device software

OK...with that background, next...what is stored where...start with this:

• KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list
  • You will notice that the items you asked about (call logs and memo pads) are contained in this

All of those are stored in AppMemory, and can be stored nowhere else. They are all backed up via the Desktop Software:

• KB12487 How to back up data on a BlackBerry smartphone

BB Protect backs up, to "the cloud", a subset of those databases.

• KB25062 How to use BlackBerry Protect to back up data on a BlackBerry smartphone
  • You will notice that only Memos are included in this, not Call Logs

Now, since Call Logs and Memos are part of the SmartPhone Databases stored in App Memory, the answer to the other part of your question is no -- they are not stored on the SD card. But, some things you create could be stored there...pictures, videos, documents, etc. can all be stored either on the SD card or to Device Memory...typically, you make choices as to where these things are stored as you save them (some apps have defaults you can set for this).

As for "just plugging" your SD card into a computer...yes, you can do that...and move/change/delete/copy/etc. as you would normally do. But, don't forget about Device Memory...you may well have put some things there that you'd also want to make sure you back up to your computer.

Here's what I do:

1. I have BB Protect automatically back up all that it can once a day
  2. I use the Desktop Software to conduct a full backup once per week
  3. During that same session (once per week), I use Mass Storage Mode to copy Device and Media Card Memory to my PC:
  • KB11879 What is mass storage mode

I know that's a bit more than you actually asked, but the hints I took from your question led me to so much more.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer
scrid2000
My Device: Red Z10, 32GB PlayBook, Numerous Android/WP8/FirefoxOS/Other devices

Re: What data is stored on the sd card?

The information you are concerned about is not saved on the SD card.

You can however back it up to your PC using Desktop Manager (http://us.blackberry.com/software/desktop.html).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------