Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
StanDuncan
My Device: Curve

What does "File System out of resources" mean?

I can't open a document stored on my Dropbox and I can't open an attachment from an email. It stalls and gives this message. Some people have suggested that I have too many programs running, but I can't find them, if that is the case. I've turned everything off. I've rebooted to clear any programs and still get the same message. Any hints?

Regular Contributor
Grenouille
My Device: Blackberry 8520

Re: What does "File System out of resources" mean?

Sounds like the phone may be running low on internal memory.  How much is left?  Oh, how large is the attachment also?

New Contributor
StanDuncan

Thanks, that sounds likely. The last person who answered said I had too many programs open, but I closed everything and even rebooted, but the Blackberry still couldn't open an attachment or a file.So, I don't think that was it.

On your question about how much memory I have, I have 45 MB left in Application memory and 1.7 GB on my Media Card.

On your question about the size of the attachment, it doesn't seem to matter (and it gave that message for files other than attachments). I tried to open 12k documents and it couldn't handle those either.

Thanks for your help.

Regular Contributor
Grenouille

Tried deleting some files from internal memory.  45MB seems a lot free but I don't what the required minimum is for blackberrys (android phones recommend at least 32MB).

New Contributor
StanDuncan

I deleted a bunch of stuff, including a couple of programs I wasn't using and increased my Application Memory from 45 MB to 45.7 MB and my Media card free space from 1.7 GB to 1.8 GB.

But it doesn't seem to make any difference. I still get the same message and can't open anything.

Regular Contributor
Grenouille

Done some investigating & looks like it may be an issue with too many files being open at once, so it's either a bug with Dropbox or some other process is causing it.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/File-System-Out-of-Resources/m-p/101398#M114...

New Contributor
StanDuncan

Thanks for the link. If nothing else, it does show that I am not alone with this problem. I closed as many files and programs as I could find. If there is a program that i don't know anything about, or a file I can't find, how would I find it?

It is also possible taht there is a bug in Dropbox. Do you think it would help if I deleted it and reinstalled it?

Regular Contributor
Grenouille

I would try reinstalling Dropbox, do a battery pull, and then try to open the file again as soon as phone has booted up.

Regular Contributor
Grenouille

Also, is dropbox trying to sync files when you are trying to open the file?  This may be the issue.  If so, try when all files have finished syncing.

New Contributor
StanDuncan

Thanks, I'll try that. I did remove the battery and reboot, but I didn't think to take dropbox out altogether, so I'll try that next.