Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Why a blackberry email address?

Can someone tell me why we get a blackberry email address? I already have several email addresses which I'm sure will be the same for most people, even business users which are recieved via Blackberry push. So whats the benefit of this Blackberry email address?
Super Contributor
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

Re: Why a blackberry email address?

It's a hold over from before BIS could connect to any POP/IMAP email account.  Under BIS version 1, you used to be able to access your email through the Web site, but that was eliminated with version 2.

That said, there is one thing about the blackberry.net email address you should know.  It is a true push email service, not like some POP/IMAP email which is polled every 15 minutes.  It's the only thing that distinguishes it at this point, but some services like Yahoo (possibly only with Mail Plus) are now true Push.

I always advise to NOT actually use the address as it has no other access to your email other than on your BlackBerry, and no SPAM filtering.  Personally I use it to forward data (pictures, ringtones and other small files) to my BlackBerry.  It prevents clutter on my regular email accounts, and it gets to me instantly.  Otherwise, I never use it.

Jerry
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Why a blackberry email address?

I use it for my top level e-mail. It has seperate icon that I keep on the top row so that I know to read now. My regular e-mail I scan at one hour intervals.

bob