Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
dhanchey
My Device: Not Specified

Wi-Fi Question

I'm trying to understand how the Blackberry Wi-Fi works. If I'm at home using my home wireless network, will I be charged through my service provider? I understand that if I use the phone on my Blackberry, that will go through the provider, but what if I want to surf the internet? Can I use my home wi-fi, through WildBlue, for internet browsing? And not be charged by AT&T, my service provider?
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
JeremyKitching
My Device: Curve 8900

Re: Wi-Fi Question

You should be able to use the BlackBerry's Wi-Fi or HotSpot browser in order to surf the Internet using your Wi-Fi network, and not the carrier's network. If you use the Browser labeled Internet Browser, I believe that uses BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) data, which is routed through your carrier.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dhanchey

Thanks for the information. I didn't know there were two ways to access the internet from the Blackberry. I know how to get to the Internet browser, how do I locate the Blackberry Wi-Fi browser you mentioned?
Please use plain text.
Cousterling

I just got my BB yesterday and found I was having the same problem.  I have hotspot@home but couldn't use the browser.  Here's what I finally figured out:

After you have setup the wi-fi to your home router, go to MANAGE CONNECTIONS / SETUP WI-FI NETWORK / SCAN FOR NETWORKS and choose your network.  Now you're looking for the page that says "SUCCESS" and you want to click the WI-FI HOTSPOT LOGIN where it has the (e.g. credit card) msg.

This will take you to a browser window that LOOKS just like the other ones except this one will work for you through home wireless.

~Craig 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dhanchey

Thanks a bunch. I will give that a try.
Please use plain text.