Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

WiFi Connection problems

Hi all.

I got my 8900 from Orange just yesterday, I managed to setup my pipex email account on the phone and transfer my contacts from my old Nokia 6680, but i now have this WiFi problem to sort out: 

I've been trying to connect my 8900 (orange) to my Netgear 834G wireless router. The router has 64bit WEP encryption set and i have no problems connecting any of my other wireless network devices. If i go through the WiFi setup on the bb it finds my network, i select it, insert the correct key, it tries to connect then says the following:

Unable to Connect

Reason: Failed to associate with the network

Under 'Manage Connections' Wi-Fi is 'On' but instead of a green tick its a white dash (-) symbol. If i go to 'WiFi Connections' highlight my network name and select 'Network Details' its Displaying all the correct wireless settings e.g SSID name, security, AP MAC, Device MAC, Channel, Network Type.

Here is the email report from the phone:

Wi-Fi
Current Profile: Lee's Network
SSID: Lee's Network
AP MAC Address: **:**:**:**:**:** (i hashed out MAC details)
Security Type: WEP
Local IP Address: 
Signal Level: 
Connection Data Rate: 

VPN
Current Profile: 
Concentrator Address: 
Authentication: N/A
Secure Device IP:  

UMA
Connection Pref.: Wi-Fi Preferred
UMA Wi-Fi Available: Error
Connection: N/A
Error Code: 

BlackBerry Infrastructure
Connecting: Error
Authenticating router: N/A
Authenticating server: N/A
Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

Now it seems to me that the router is not assigning an IP address to the phone. Why i don't know. I do know it can't be the fault of the router as it will release an IP for any other device i connect to it.

I'd really appreciate some help getting this WiFi working.

New Contributor

Re: WiFi Connection problems

Bumping this one as i really am pulling my hair out with it.. It'll connect fine to a Belkin router with a WPA2 key.   

New Contributor

Had exactly the same problem setting up my wife's new O2 8900. Only resolved by replacing the SIM card.  The old 2g one was about 3 years old and the new one is 3g.  As the phone is not 3g anyway, don't know why the replacement works but it does. Now the phone connects to the internet via either my Netgear or O2 router.  Suspected a replacement SIM card might do the trick after I swapped my Bold's card into the Curve just to see what happened and the Curve's wifi connected immediately.
New Contributor

Further to the above, the connection stopped working after a day, so changing the sim card wasn't a long term answer.  Subsequently changed the phone for a Bold.  Had same problem, a grey wifi symbol and no connection to the internet.  Only resolved after reading this:-

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB13922&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

Necessitates accessing the router and opening ports 4500 and 500.  So far this seems to be giving a permanent solution, touch wood!

New Contributor

Resolved...

Blackberry was sent back due to the battery not lasting very long.. Orange sent me a new replacment (exact same firmware) i uploaded all of my settings to the new phone and it instantly connects to both networks without problems.

Very weird considering both phones are identical with the same firmware version...