Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
mummyalice
My Device: blackberry curve 8520
My Carrier: Giffgaff

Wifi wont turn on!!

Hiya guys,
I got a brand new blackberry curve 8520 about a month ago from carphone warehouse & when i got home i connected to my sky router to connect the wifi but for some reason it wouldnt turn on on my phone (i entered all the passwords from the sky router etc..). I went back to carphone warehouse and they took it in for repairs. On saturday i recieved another new phone and i topped up my giffgaff simcard with enough credit for texts, calls, internet & blackberry messenger & when i got home i once again tried to connect my wifi, it connected but just wouldnt turn on! I have had a look at solutions to my query on other sites including giffgaff and we're all stuck as to why the wifi on my blackberry will not connect. I have tried battery pull & connecting to other wifi's & a few other theorys & nothing seems to help! Also, I cannot download blackberry app world on to my blackberry, it says there is an error when trying to download, I heard this can be because the download is to big for my internet on the sim card but without being connected to wifi! I have asked giffgaff to try and resolve my problem & will update this post as to what they say but anything anyone has to offer will be appriciated! thanks...

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,894
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Wifi wont turn on!!

Could you please try connecting to a different router, such as an open free hotpost like a McDondalds or Starbucks, just to confirm if this WiFi issue is related only to your router?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mummyalice

Hi, I tried to connect to 'the cloud' which is a free open hotspot in a shopping centre near me & it does connect but wont work because it wont turn on! i hope that makes sense! thanks

Please use plain text.
JSanders

OK, you keep saying it connects, but won't turn on.

What do you mean? How do you know it is connected?

And not turned on? Can you please explain those?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mummyalice

on the normal screen in the top right corner where the signal bar is the wifi symbol is underneath it, if u turn the wifi on when connected it shud light up to a white colour, although the wifi has successfully connected with my router the wifi on my phone will not turn on and the wifi symbol is a blank grey colour because of this! also if you go to manage connections there is a tick next to my mobile connection to say that my network connection is connected but when u look at wifi there is a '-' symbol, if it was off there would be a 'x' symbol! I hope this makes sense! thanks..

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Sorry, you are confused about the meaning of the fully bright white and faded grey WiFi logos on the homescreen, as well as the dash "-" and such on the Manage Connections. Screen.

• Home screen WiFi logo - Bright white: Connected to WiFi and BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service).
  • Home screen WiFi logo - faced grey: Connected to WiFi and not connected to BIS
  • Manage Connections screen, WiFi status with a GREEN check mark indicates connected to WiFi and BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service)
  • Manage Connections screen, WiFi status with a white dash indicates the connected to WiFi, but not recognizing any connection to the BIS BlackBerry Internet Service.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mummyalice

Ok so because I topped up & activated my giffgaff sim card in a different blackberry phone could this be the reason why the BIS is not connectin with wifi??

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Yep.

Seems your BIS account is not connected to this BlackBerry device. Call GiffGaff and get it moved.

Good luck.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mummyalice

Thanks so much for tryin to help, its much appriciated! Have a gd christmas :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
JSanders

You are very welcome.

Good luck.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.