Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Wifi works for calls, bb internet browser, opera browser - but not for applications!!

T-mobile has been no help.

I do not pay for BIS because I never needed it when I did, and still do not now.  I have wifi everywhere I go.

I make calls over the Wifi, I browes the internet over the Wifi on two different browsers, yet NO applications work over the wifi.

I have everything set as it should according to T-mobile, and still has all of the same settings as it did on BIS.

This has been an on going issue for a great deal of time now.

Paying for a service (BIS) that I would not use will not fix the issue either.  Many of the places I go have Wifi but the Service Carriers signal is blocked (Conference Rooms, etc) leaving again, only Wifi.

- Curve 8320 Sunset

Is it time to drop Blackberry or is there a fix?

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Wifi works for calls, bb internet browser, opera browser - but not for applications!!

Which applications are you trying to get to work? Most apps require having a BlackBerry data plan in order for it to work.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
New Contributor

Re: Wifi works for calls, bb internet browser, opera browser - but not for applications!!

... does it matter? They should all be capable of using the WIFI - ISP to connect.  They all used to without BIS.

Primarily Google Apps

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

I just know from looking at most apps, they require a data plan. For instance if you look at the requirements for Google Maps (

http://google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=39890) it does require having a data plan.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8330

jmrmb80 wrote:

I just know from looking at most apps, they require a data plan. For instance if you look at the requirements for Google Maps (

http://google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=39890) it does require having a data plan.

As jmrmbo80 has stated, many apps require a data plan e.g. IM apps, navigations apps, etc. The wifi will mostly be useful for web browsing only.

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Thanks Smiley Happy
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

google maps previously could determine location based on hotspot location and access all data through wifi-isp.  Facebook, no reason it cannot get every bit of data through wifi, google sync - again just transferring over net and does not need tower information to determine location if no gps (like 8320).

If on wifi apps simply hit carrier and then carrier bounces back to app and says go to wifi.

Message Edited by tasche on 08-05-2009 03:02 PM
New Contributor
My Device: BB 8320

The problem is not Blackberry, but Google and the appliation writers.  There is no *technical* reason they couldn't use TCP/IP over wifi for any/all data access.  Maybe it's just because *most* people have a data plan, and wifi is relatively new.  Or, maybe, the carriers don't want them to offer wifi access, fearing that people won't buy a plan.