Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
SiPusa
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Wipe out data on curve 8900

Hi,  I am new to using a BB.  They keys are unresponsive and the phone company said a replacement will be sent within the week.  My problem is there is that I want to "wipe out" all of the data on my unit.  I tried doing the the software upgrade and via phone instructions from support but it did not do anything.  I just don't want all the phone numbers, text messages and emails being sent back with the unit.

Can anyone help me with this.

Thanks,

SiPusa

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Wipe out data on curve 8900

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

See this KB:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB14058&slic...

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SiPusa

Hi, Thanks for your advice.  Unfortunately, none of the keys on my BB work... Even the softkeys won't work... the only thing that works is the scrolling of the trackball and that's it.  Did all the battery take-out and replace after 30 seconds, connecting via usb to the computer and updating the software but nothing has happened.

Any more suggestions on this thing?  Am about to be totally disappointed with the unit.   It would be greqt if there was a reset button inside or somewhere in the unit. :-)

Regards,

SiPusa

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

When you connect via USB, does DTM properly see your BB? If so, there is a command we can run that will reset it to factory conditions...but I need to dig that out...

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
kairosgrammy

SiPusa wrote:

Hi,  I am new to using a BB.  They keys are unresponsive and the phone company said a replacement will be sent within the week.  My problem is there is that I want to "wipe out" all of the data on my unit.  I tried doing the the software upgrade and via phone instructions from support but it did not do anything.  I just don't want all the phone numbers, text messages and emails being sent back with the unit.

Can anyone help me with this.

Thanks,

SiPusa

Did you copy your contacts from your sim card to the phone? I know there is a way to delete from the phone only or if you didn't perhaps everything is operating from your sim card?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SiPusa

Yes it sees the BB.  In fact, I can go through the whole process of selecting which applications I want to load or delete.  As far as the DTM is concerned, it gets to finish the update.  However, the BB still acts as if nothing happened to it.  I still see the red indicator that there is still new email, etc.

Did this process probably around 3 times already.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK...then this is next...

The following procedures will delete either all data, or all data and applications on the BlackBerry smartphone. Back up the data prior to performing the procedure. For instructions, see KB12487.

1.        Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the PC computer.
2.        Open Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt.
3.        Navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader.
4.        Type loader.exe /resettofactory.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SiPusa

Whoah... scary... Won't I blow up my phone that way :-)... just kidding.

Thanks... will do that when I get home tonight and provide you with the results.

Good luck to me.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SiPusa

Was finally able to wipe out the data on my BB.... whew.... that was atough one....

I did as you suggested but could not get into the Program Files directory using the commeand prampt interface.  However, your suggestion still helped because I decided to find the actual folder through the My computer shortcut, selected the Apploader.exe file and followed as instructed.

Thank you for your patience and support.. now I can return the defective unit.

cheers,

SiPusa

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SiPusa

Hi, Thanks for your advice.  I wanted to erase all data on the phone and was finally able to do that.

Cheers,

SiPusa

Please use plain text.