Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
Corbott
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Won't Hold Charge and Other Problems...

Hi

I'm having a couple of problems with my berry.

First of which, it won't keep its charge.  The battery lasts only 8 hours or so.

Second,  I can send and receive texts.  Apparently my pins have been sent but I'm not getting many pins, emails, facebook things back.  I received replies from the pins I sent last night midday today.

This morning there was an hourglass animation at the center of my screen every 10 seconds.  It would flash and dissappear.  I yanked the battery out because thats the usual fix for everything but the battery drains just as quickly and still not receiving pins.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
lorriem1222
My Device: AT&T BOLD OS 4.6.0.167

Re: Won't Hold Charge and Other Problems...

The battery will drain more quickly if you have programs running in the background. To check hold the alt key and press and release the back key. The only things there should be browser, home, BB messenger, PTT, phone, and messages. All other programs can be closed by clicking the menu key and selecting close or exit. Please also check your memory click on options-status. Please post your file free and file total numbers. Thanks.
~Lorrie~ Master of All Things Blackberry!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Corbott

file free: 44739744 bytes

file total: 83623936 bytes

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
lorriem1222

Well that rules out memory.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Corbott

I ended up wiping the memory and thus far it looks like its working.

So the hourglass means I have too many apps open? I only installed 2 3rd party ones the previous time. And only managed to get 8 hours of life which is weird in my opinion.

What should I avoid in order to not have this happen again?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
lorriem1222

It doesn't mean you have too many apps installed, you just may have too many open. You know when your using your PC and you have several windows open but you just minimize them so you can go back and fourth? It's kinda like that. Say I open "notes". Then I hit the red hang up key to go back to the homescreen. Then I open "tasks". "Notes" is still running in the back. This is of course more crucial when you leave something open like your browser which will constantly be drawing data. To close somerhing properly click the menu key and select close or exit. To see what is open hold down the alt key and press and release the back key. You cannot close home, browser, messages, PTT, BBmessenger or phone. Although I'm not sure if this alone caused your problem but I'm glad you got it working.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Corbott

thanks (3
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
epellegr

Hi Lorrie,

I have a battery drained problem... 

Every time I put it on, it says "Battery drained. Shutting down handheld".

It does not charge my battery, nor a new battery I tried with.

It says no charge, but the battery is charged since it works with other devices. 

I've updated my BB8320 to the 4,6 OS, but it still have the problem.

Please advise. Regards.

Emilio 

Please use plain text.
vhouweling

Hi Lori,

I just got a blackberry and today it wouldn't hold a charge. I tried to click the alt and back arrow and found a lot of open apps but i couldn't close them.. i tried pushing the menu button so that i could close it but it didn't work.. any advice?

Please use plain text.
supernique
My Device: bb9900
My Carrier: Digicel

Hi Lorrie
I have a bb9900 and the battery won't keep charge for more than 7-8hrs. I went ahead and bought a new battery and its the same problem. What u think. Is causing this?
Please use plain text.