Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
neafus
My Device: Not Specified

addresses updated externally error message within address book

I am a fairly new Curve user, so still getting the hang of it.  Just started getting a weird message within my address book.  I will go into an entry, make some minor changes (say add an additional phone number), and then when I go to save I get the following:  "Addresses updsated externally.  Changes will be lost and the viewer closed."  Sometimes the changes made stick, sometimes not. But the viewer does not close.  I have also gotten another message after this one referring to null point . . . sorry wasn't able to get that one written down.

Any suggestions? 

Trusted Contributor
Bolder
My Device: 8320, 8120

Re: addresses updated externally error message within address book

Hi neafus,

Here is a link that should help you:

Error received when attempting to update Address Book entries

Cheers

New Contributor
neafus
My Device: Not Specified

Re: addresses updated externally error message within address book

Bolder,

Thanks for the info.  The link you gave had three possibilities. 1-Content Protection on, 2-Database on the BB is corrupt, and 3-BB data is corrupt.

I don't have my content protection on.

Part of the resolution for #2 states how to clear the Address Book database.  When I try this, I get an error message that the data isn't recognized by the device.  So I can't complete #2. 

#3 for me, since I'm not that tech savy but willing to try,  is a last resort as it is basically backing up the data, then deleting all the data on my BB, then restoring the data from the computer.  But if I do that, won't the corruption be contained within the backup?

BTW, I have BB software v4.2.2.170.    Should I contact my carrier?