Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

CoelacanthFillet
My Device: playbook

.bbb; "tasks" and "memo"; Curve 8520; Playbook

I have a BlackBerry Curve 8520 and a BlackBerry Playbook.

Short context: Destroyed phone but salvaged the SIM. 

Curve was synched to Playbook. 

Playbook contains thesis information that I NEED to recover: Specifically, “tasks” and “memo” items.

Used BlackBerry Desktop Manager ver. 7.1 to backup Playbook bbb files.

Ver. 7.* of software will let me specify “organiser” function to isolate the files I need.

Uninstalled, reinstalled, uninstalled, reinstalled…yadda yadda yadda…  various archived versions of the software tried, but none work.  Currently have active on PC ver. 5.0 – PC is Windows XP).

Have tried to recover the Playbook data in .bbb file.  Have tried BlackBerry Backup Extractor (cannot find *any* files).  Have tried “PhoneMiner.”  Have tried “Magic Berry.”  Have also tried renaming .bbb files as .zip (all “copies” – not the original backup file). 7-Zip recovers .tar files, but all refer to applications.

So…I’m thinking that in the ver. 7.1 of the software, it might not have actually backed up “memo” and “tasks” files.  However, ver. 5.0 doesn’t seem to recognise the Playbook.  When connecting Playbook to PC, I am prompted to upgrade software from the “Playbook directory.” 

So, BB Desktop Manager ver. 5.* doesn’t recognise Playbook.  Version 7.* of BB Desktop Manager gives me the error message

But, in so doing, the software (ver. 7.* of BlackBerry Desktop Manager) doesn’t allow me to specify the “memo” and “task” in the “Organiser” tab.  Instead, I get an error message, and the prompt to www…/docs for support.

BlueTooth is not yet reconfigured and set up (but I am having a great deal of difficulty setting up the WiFi on my Curve, despite manually entering PSK when autodetect fails) but I am in no rush about this as I have not yet synched Curve with Playbook.  I’m afraid that the Curve will overwrite the Playbook (and purge the “memo” and “tasks”).

I am making the assumption that the files are still on Playbook, but I can’t confirm this as a) BB Desktop manager using versions that recognise Playbook will not let me specify “memo” and “tasks” files in the “organiser” function, b) there has been no synch yet with an “empty” Curve.  There has been no auto synch either as lauching “memo,” for instance, on Playbook, prompts the search for a connection to the Curve, which it cannot find.  Once connection is established, will Curve automatically overwrite the Playbook files effectively deleting “memo” and “tasks” files?

Bottom line is this: I need to get “memo” and “tasks” from Playbook.  How can I ensure the retrieval of “memo” and “tasks” files?

Sorry for “too much info” as I wanted to offer as much as might be necessary.

Sincerest thanks for 1) reading this post to the end; 2) considering my issue; 3) offering a solution, and 4) offering a solution that works!

Please use plain text.
CoelacanthFillet
My Device: playbook

Re: .bbb; "tasks" and "memo"; Curve 8520; Playbook

Woops.  Sorry forgot this detail.

I have a new Curve 8520 -- not the Curve 8520 destoryed.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
rapanui21
My Device: Curve 8310

Re: .bbb; "tasks" and "memo"; Curve 8520; Playbook

I can help you with your memos and tasks. I sent you a private message regarding this. Mike
Please use plain text.