Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

sarahp3
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: 3

broken - navigation pad

I dropped my phone in to water 6 days ago. I have tried to dry it out by placing my phone in rice, however being very impatient I kept turning my phone on.  I am receiving txts emails etc however the navigation button isn't working so I am unable to read my messages or look up numbers etc.

Any advice?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: broken - navigation pad

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

The recommended time in the rice is 3-5 days, without touching it, with the battery out. Anything less and the chances of success are greatly diminished. Applying power to your BB between it getting wet and completing the process further reduces the chances of success. Further, the only thing predictable about moisture intrusion into a BB (indeed, any electronic device) is that the results will be unpredictable. I've seen some come back up right away and be fine. I've seen others never work at all. I've seen still others run for a bit, and then die later. And every thing in between.

Given what you describe, you may well have toasted it. The only thing to do is to try again, but this time control your patience and wait that entire 5 days without touching it.

Your chances of success are, I think given what you have said, less than 50%.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
sarahp3

Thank you for your advice - patience is something I struggle with!  But will try again.

My provided will send the phone off for repair however advised that all data will be wiped from my phone. Seems all my contacts have been saved to the phone and not my sim. Any suggestions on how to save this info?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

sarahp3 wrote:

My provided will send the phone off for repair however advised that all data will be wiped from my phone. Seems all my contacts have been saved to the phone and not my sim. Any suggestions on how to save this info?

The SIM "phone book" is far less robust than the BB Contact List. Example:

• There can only be one phone number on any one SIM phone book record.
  • But, the BB Contact List can have one record (e.g., one name) with multiple phone numbers (and much more information).

Hence, the BB cannot use the SIM phone book since it is inherently less robust, and the BB cannot change that as the SIM capabilities are controlled by others (the carriers, mostly).

The thing to have done (before this happened) was to have a regular backup schedule of your BB. There are multiple FREE methods that RIM provides...but no one can force you to actually use them. This old saying may well apply to your situation:

• There are two kinds of computing device users -- those who have lost data, and those who will

Backups, like insurance, are neither a reactive nor an optional activity. If you have previously taken any backups, then you have that data as source for restore. If you have not, then you have now migrated from the latter to the former in that old saying.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
sarahp3

A hard lesson learnt!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Indeed...the good news is, it is usually a very painful lesson, and hence need not be learned any further times!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.