Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
broltoestel
My Device: curve 9300
Accepted Solution

browser does not work anymore after 2 years

Hello,

I hope someone will be able to help me with the following : after 2 years my internet browser does not work anymore on my BB curve 9300 (not via 3G, not via wifi). FB and Whatsapp still work.

Now my smartphone is only half a smartphone, so I hope your professional team will be albe to help me in no time.

Many thanks upfront.

Contributor
broltoestel

Re: browser does not work anymore after 2 years

Let me just add to this that I'm trying to get help from BB and that their website looks very complicated. I see that lots of posts are not even read, so I have my doubts that I will get help here. It's been a week that I have walking around with only half a smartphone so I hope I won't have to wait much longer now that I took time to figger out this website, registered to this forum, and posted my concern. After all, all I'm asking for is that the device I paid for would work in a proper way. It's all about quality.

Contributor
broltoestel

If I click on the browser icon I get the normal black screen and when I then choose eg. Google it searches for a while the way it always does, but then it doesn't go to that page. Instead I see again the black screen. Of course, I have already tried to switch off and then back on my smartphone, but that doesn't change anything. I also tried entering www. google.be directly in the search bar but that didn't work either.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

With a strong carrier network signal (e.g., not merely WiFi), I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Resend Service Books

• KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Reboot

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.
  • See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you should contact your mobile service provider for formal support.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
broltoestel

Hi,

Step 1 worked well, step 2 I'm not sure. I just waited an hour (since no message came in) and the rebooted, but it didn't work. Should I try again and if so all steps or just step 2 and 3?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Which part of step 2 please? There are multiple sub-steps in step 2...each requiring success (or, if applicable, skipping) before proceeding. If all fails, there also is posted there what else to do...

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
broltoestel

Hi,

Which part of step 2, well? I'll have to go over everything again, because I don't know this by heart:

I followed method 1 sending the service books via the BB. Then, the search started because the way it is described I don't find back. I clicked Installation, Email account, then via the left button servicebooks and send servicebooks. Then I waited for an hour. The only emailbox I check is hotmail and that goes via msn, so my guess is that I didn't have to make an account) and rebooted my BB. Some error message popped up (don't know the text anymore)  when I tried to use my internet browser.

It's starting to become very complicated to get this thing going again the way it should, especially since I didn't  do anything special and all of a sudden it doesn't work anymore. I don't want to become an expert, I just want to get my BB to work normal again.

If you have some more advice for me I will try one last time. After that, I will buy another smartphone of another brand because for BB I pay 15 euro extra to my provider on a monthly basis and other brands don't need this 'special service'.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

From what you describe, I can only deduce that the Service Books never arrived to your BB...and so you waited the hour and then rebooted. And even then your services were not working.

Given that scenario, you next fall to what followed step 3 in what I provided above...contacting your mobile service provider for formal support. Something has gone wrong in the connection between your device and your carriers network...only they can look at their network to figure out why that has happened, and rectify it.

It is true that in many markets BB/BIS service indeed costs more than "generic" data plans...this is because there is infrastructure that the carriers and BB need to provide/support in order for the BB proprietary services to function. Non-BB devices do not use this infrastructure, and so in many markets the carriers can get away with charging more for it. But this pricing is set by the carriers (not all markets have an extra charge for BB services...some sell BB services for the same price as non-BB...it varies).

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
broltoestel

Many thanks for your advice. It's a lot clearer to me now.

Contributor
broltoestel

This afternoon I called my provider. Together we tried several things during more or less an hour. Unfortunately, it's still not solved. The person who helped me things I need to update my software for the browser. That again requires some actions and to be honest, I've had it with my BB. It's becoming way too complicated, so I want to change to another smartphone.

Now I encounter my next problem : I want to see what contacts are saved on my BB and which on my SIM and then I would like to copy those from my BB to my SIM (without getting any doubles). I discovered how to copy one by one, but that takes ages and I can't check anything afterwards, so I'm hoping there is a quicker way of doing this. Also I wonder how I can check if it worked afterwards. Can you please help?