Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
MaureenCooper
My Device: Curve 8520 Smartphone
My Carrier: Virgin

'carrier'

1. The form asks for this. What is my 'carrier'? 
  2. I have a BlackBerry curve 8520. I loaded the software onto my laptop and used it to download photos a few times (3 April last time) but now it wont connect. The cable is good.
  3. This is my first time on a help forum. I've spent hours looking for help on googlebut don't understand any of it. 
  4. I need help in terms that a 'nubie' can deal with. ( my grandson tells me that's what I am! 

Best wishes

Maureen

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,881
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: 'carrier'

1. Your carrier is your mobile network provider. It appears you understood it correctly in your profile where you have listed Virgin.

2. Reboot your PC and your BlackBerry (powered on, remove the battery a minute and replace to reboot) and try again to connect. Make sure your USB cable is connected to a main rear USB port, not a USB hub.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
MaureenCooper

Thank you, I wasn't sure as it asked for 'mobile phone service provider' at one of the registrations and 'carrier' at the other. I wanted to be sure.

I have taken out the battery and switched off the laptop and the BlackBerry which showed a re-loading image when I switched on again. However the BlackBerry Desktop Software still shows disconnected. The BlackBerry Curve itself showed the arrow in the top right hand corner going out of the device but not the two headed in and out arrow. 

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Those arrows only indicate the direction of data flowing to or from the BlackBerry wireless, not through the cable.

On your BlackBerry look your options > media card or memory. There is a setting for mass storage mode. Make sure that is enabled.
Details here. http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB13564

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
MaureenCooper

I am keeping the subject 'carrier' although you have solved that problem for me because I want to continue the conversation if you don't mind.

I have checked the memory and followed your advice. As I don't have a media card I have switched that off. I am still unable to connect to my laptop. My cable is sound. The USB  socket works for my printer so I am guessing that's OK.

Although I could re-install the desktop from the disc supplied in the hope that that would solve the problem I wonder if that will itself cause pproblems and how do I avoid the same thing happening again?

I am beginning to wonder if a BlackBerry is the device for me.

many thanks

Maureen

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Oh. You don't have a media card. Never said that.

Turn on the setting I asked about. REboot and try again.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.