Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

chinese encoding character set gb18030 blank email problem

Hi,

Have a user with brand new 8310 who was in China. He said that one day the BB started showing Chinese characters then reverted to English.

Now he is back in oz and the emails are being sent out (apparently) with Chinese encoding. When I receive mail from him in Outlook the body is blank. However when I lookat the same email on our Imail webmail server I can see the body. It was fine before he left for China.

If I look at emails that come from him now, I can see that they are encoded in simplified chinese gb18030. These have blank bodies.

Emails that he replies to are fine to read and are encoded in US ASCII.

Is there a way to change the encoding that the BB uses?

Or will I need to wipe and then load new handheld software?

Thanks

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: chinese encoding character set gb18030 blank email problem

Okay, so I did a backup, a wipe and then restored all the info. However, after the wipe I managed to get the emails working properly and sending in the correct encoding. However, as soon as I restored all of the info(no choosing which data to restore, just default) the problem reappeared.

So, I then wiped again and just rebuilt the address book, calendar and tasks etc by synchronizing with the user's laptop and the problem was fixed.

I'd be interested to see if anyone else has a problem like this when going to China.

All good now.