Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Visitor
jodie2
My Device: Curve 9300

curve 9300 how to downgrade to os 5

Hi :smileyhappy: I upgraded to os 6 the other day but I much prefered os 5 so I am trying to downgrade. I went on the blackberry site to get the os 5 software but when I go to download it says to fill out the form with your name and address and it asks for a company name? I have no company name? am I downloading the right thing?

Forums Veteran I
stevels400
My Device: Curve 8520 OS v5.0.0.681

Re: curve 9300 how to downgrade to os 5

Hi and nope, your not.

Unless your carrier likes to capture personal info, but I think you would be looking in the wrong place.

This what I did to completely wipe my BB and you can use it to go back to OS 5.

I wrote this before starting and printed it off. It looks daunting but it is easy really.

If your device is functioning, perform a backup now if you haven't already done so saving the file to a place and in a name that you can easily locate on computer.

I then uninstalled DTM and then deleted all other references to BB/Rim in Windows Explorer thus removing the OS for the BB from the computer in order to ensure that the version I would reinstall would be a brand new downloaded version.

Get the latest Desk Top Software (DTS)
http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/?CPID=OTC-DSKTPSW&cp=OTC-DSKTPSW

and install it on the computer.

Get the correct latest version of the OS

http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

and save it to computer. If your own carrier doesn't list an OS 5, then have a look at others; there are plenty on the list. If you have to use another carriers' OS 5, dont worry just navigateon the PC to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader and delete the file vendor.xml.

If the PC does not recognize the BB, You need to connect the via the USB cable. Then pull the battery from the BB.
With the battery pulled, connect the BlackBerry to the USB connector and as SOON as you see USB-PIN:UNKNOWN hit Next. You have to be quick. From there you can put the battery back in (make sure you install the battery or else when the OS update is completing and the device disconnects from the computer to reboot, it will lose the power provided by the USB connection and you will get an error and have to do it all over again!).

If you don't get it right the first time, try again (unplug from USB, pull battery, connect and hit Next while USB-PIN:Unknown is showing). You have to be fast and the timing is key, so it may take you three or four attempts.

To erase all the data on your BlackBerry device, complete the following steps.

1) Download JL_Cmder from http://www.4shared.com/get/oqP9V-2Q/JL_Cmder_v19.html

2) Install JL_Cmder to computer.

3) Double check you have already backed-up the BB. If you DO NOT, you will lose ALL data.

4) Make sure the DTS is closed and plug in the BB to computer via USB

5) Go to the JL_Cmder on your computer and double click it to start. Now,this may take a few tries to connect, so keep trying until it does.

6) On the first screen, Press any key to continue.

7) Now, if your device uses a password, enter it now. If not, press "N"

8) Press 4 to initiate the WIPE

9) Press "Y" to continue

10) Now type "blackberry" to continue

11) On the BB you will see a white screen with a'507' Error. Don't worry, this is what you want! You are now ready to install the OS.

Launch the new Desk Top Software on the computer

1). On the home screen of the BlackBerry® Desktop Software, click Device > Update my device.

2). Click View Other Versions. Click the version of the new OS you previously downloaded.

3). Click Install. The DTM will install the OS and then provide you with a list of applications to install. If you have had difficulties with an app, do not install it.

Do not disconnect the device until the whole process is completed and the device has rebooted.

After 10 minutes reboot again by removing the battery whilst powered-on and leave it out for a couple of minutes.

Leave it again for 10 minutes. You should now have a fully functioning BB!

Blackberry Best Advice - Back-up weekly

If I have helped you please check the "Kudos" star on the right >>>>
New Contributor
wolficestorm
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9300

I know this is a old thread, but you saved my bacon so thanks! I bought the blackberry and i am so used to the various options that OS5 gives i was frustrated with OS6, as we speak i am finishing the downgrade

I am having amnesia deja vu, i am getting the feeling i forgot all this before
rs777

I know these are stupid questions, but I don't know the answers so they aren't stupid to me - so here goes. If I downgrade to OS5, will I lose contact information, etc? I wont lose information like carrier  info? And I can still connect to carrier, use the phone without any other set up? If something goes wrong, I assume I can reload the back up file to restore the previous settings?

Thanks!

New Contributor
wolficestorm

RS777

What do you mean contact information etc? Do you mean the phone book you added in the phone, calander etc? If so then yes you are going to loose that, as anything that has to do with loading the software will cause this. May i recommend for this, if you do not have one, open a gmail account, then add the email address to your blackberry. This will allow a sync no matter where you are for email and phone book and calander.

Now on Carrier, seeing as i am on MTS here n WInnipeg Manitoba, i had to use the Telus version for my blackberry 9300 3G. I removed the vendor vendor.xml as Stevels had said and even given the path to it which was C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader and delete the file vendor.xml A word of caution though as i have tried another vendor's OS on other smart phones: Make sure you get the OS from your region. If you are in Canada, look for Canadian providers, if in the US look for US carrier's etc. Sure the basics will run on your phone, but different key map's, encryptions that are not compadible.

IF your provider does not supply the downgraded version and you do the steps again Stelels has provided in great detail and easy to follow instructions, then no you will not loose your original carrier information, and you will still be "locked" to it. The "unlooking" happens on a hardware level, NOT a software flashing level (best i can discribe in a none techy fashion). The only think you MAY experience (as i do) is when you turn the blackberry off, and turn it back on, you need to wait as the phone looks for your provider's info.

Now when you say "something go wrong" do you mean in the fashion of wanting to remove the iOS5 version? That can easily be done of two ways: Follow the steps above for to relash your phone but have a copy of your carriers iOS 6, OR you can upgrade through the blackberry desktop

The only thing i can forsee something going wrong is if during the flashing, you remove the usb cord half way through the process. I am not sure but i imagine IF you did that, and did indeed get the white screen of death then you would simply remove the battery, plug the phone into the usb port and re-insert the battery, wait for it to be recogniced and then system wipe it and do the steps all over again.

rs777

Wolficestorm thanks for your very helpful and informative reply. I am in Ontario, I should be able to use this version from Rogers: BlackBerry Handheld Software v5.0.0.1399 (Multilanguage).

Now that know I am unlikely to do damage to the phone, I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks again.
New Contributor
wolficestorm

Well, if you have the 93000 and are with rogers, your in luck! they offer the downgrade right here https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do;jsessionid=5A02BB4EB6ED9033198CAB5AF3...
If your with Rogers again, here is a nice easy way to do it then:
1) Download BlackBerry Desktop 5 (it helps)
2) Download the above link
3) Go to start menu>Control Panel>Add/remove programs and WITHOUT your blackberry connect, remove all Blackberry apps.
4) disconnect from the internet
6) Install Blackberry desktop 5, but do not open it
7) Install the rogers software, but do not run the blackberry desktop, if it starts, simply close it
8) go through stevel's steps 1 to 11 (but remain offline, again it is easier)
9) once the blackberry is wiped, keep it connected, start the blackberry desktop
10) it will ask you to re-install, click ok, let it do it's thing
11) let it do it's thing
12) your done and downgraded.

I did not see Rogers had a downgrade, think i will try it myself :smileyvery-happy:
New Contributor
wolficestorm

just wanted to say with the JL_Cmder..if you look at it's options, it allows you to screen shot your blackberry to, i love it
rs777

[ Edited ]

I'm with Fido not Rogers, but I can use the Rogers OS file. So I have to follow Steve's instructions, right?

New Contributor
wolficestorm

That is correct, so long as you remove the vendor.xml....i did it to my blackberry curve 9300 and being on MTS i found rogers seemed to run faster then the telus version