Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Visitor
Casslake
My Device: Not Specified

earpiece distortion has gotten unbareable

love the curve, hate the noise on the earpiece.  speaker phone and ringer tones are fine, just the earpiece distortion has progressively worsened.  are there seperate speakers for the earpiece and speakerphone/ringer?  I tend to get get dust inside the phone(contractor), used canned air to blow out.  Is the speaker shot or could a sand grain caugh in there cause the distortion?  Can you take the phone apart to clean inside?

my wifes tired of me yelling into the phone

thanks

davec75
My Device: curve 8520

Re: earpiece distortion has gotten unbareable

Hello,

I had the same problem with my curve, you can get into the phones using a TORX T5 or T6 star key, these are relatively cheap and easy to get hold of from ebay etc. I found a youtube video explaning how to get into mine after you've removed the screws they just unclip in layers.

There are two speakers in the hand set and the earpeice speaker seems to develop an intolerable amount of distortion I solved the problem by cutting a 5mm x 5mm piece of rubber from an old pair of stereo earphones and placed it in the socket of the speaker then replaced the speaker and found that it dampenned the thin diaphram of the speaker sufficiently as to completely stop the distortion.

The replacement speakers are very cheap and are just dropped into place in the handset without soldering so although a bit fiddly its not too labour intensive and certainly not so dificult as to justify paying someone else to do the job if you require a replacement.

Im just a bloke who doesnt like spending money and has a go at fixing things cheaply and effectively, I hope you get a result mate, good luck.