Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
cesarevo9
My Device: blackberry torch 9860
My Carrier: att

help with blackberry wifi set up

So i just got the blackberry curve 9360 and need some help with setting up a wifi and having no data plan on my phone. I used it this way in my curve 8520 by changing the browser to public acess and was able to do this on wifi only with no data plan but i dont know if its capable to set this up on this new one since its os7

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: help with blackberry wifi set up

Hello,

It is possible to use the native browser with no data plan...I actually do exactly that with my 9860. However, mine was once on AT&T, but no longer is. As such, mine has the Service Books from AT&T that enabled my services, and they continue to function now.

There no longer is any setting within the BB Browser...it now automatically chooses the proper path, favoring WiFi over carrier data network. It should therefore be automatic -- unless it requires those Service Books (which mine has since it was once active on ATT).

You might look into Opera...it definitely works without a data plan and requires no Service Books from the carrier, via WiFi only. You might have a challenge initially installing it, but I seem to recall that Opera provided a way to do so (it's been a while, so I can't recall perfectly).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cesarevo9

ok so it automaticly picks up wifi insted of network internet but how do i bypas so at&t dosent pick up that im using a blackberry and add a data plan to my service

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Huh? You mean you have voice services, but no data from ATT? Hmmm...well, I've never heard of them "catching" someone. The data you are using is WiFi data, not ATTs after all.

In any event, the way to truly prevent that is to shut of your Mobile Network radio. Then, you are 100% on WiFi...of course, no voice services...

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cesarevo9

yes i have voics service i had it set up on my 852o curve and at&t never pick up that i had a blackberry but now i have the 9360 and its a new platform and dont know how to do it this is the video i used to set up my older phone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWmj58vcI5Y 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cesarevo9

But i would like to set this way on this new device and not get data charges on at&t wile still have active my voice service

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK...so everything in that video is basically correct, except for the Advanced Options > Browser setting...that's what's changed in newer OS's. It's no longer settable, but automatic now (since OS 6 I think, but it might have started earlier).

Plus the specific menu items in that video will be different from yours given a different OS as well. But, basically, all of the settings but for that one should be available to you somewhere in your Device Options screens. But there's nothing you can do about that one setting because it no longer exists.

I have no way to guarantee to you that ATT won't "catch" you and try to charge you. Use at your own risk.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.