Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

amedwards93
My Device: Curve 9300

how do I get my contacts back after my phone wiped itself?

I have a password set on my phone and you get 10 attempts before it locks you out.  My friend decided to take all 10 of those attempts and failed and right after that a white screen came up and said "wiping". I took my battery out and put it back in and the wiping screen came back up and then it turned on like normal.  But all of my contacts and messages are gone, but not my downloaded apps, pictures, ringtones, and stuff like that. How do i get my contacts back if they weren't on my SIM card? and why would my phone wipe itself just because someone failed at the password 10 times?

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: how do I get my contacts back after my phone wiped itself?

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Yes the wipe would delete all personal data settings as a security feature designed in the device.

Unless you have used the Blackberry desktop software to get a full backup of the device prior to the wipe the data is gone. If you do have the backup file you can restore the data via the desktop manager.

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB10385 Forgotten password security wipe.

" As a security feature, the BlackBerry smartphone is designed to allow a maximum of 10 attempts by the BlackBerry smartphone user to type the correct password. After the tenth attempt, if the correct password has not been typed, all data is erased from the BlackBerry smartphone in order to discourage its theft or misuse."

KB10339 

This article covers how to restore previously backed up information to a BlackBerry smartphone.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter