Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9320
My Carrier: vodafone

icon for new text messages disappears before new text is even opened

Hi there,

my Blackberry Curve 9320 seems to have a problem with SMS/text notification. When I receive a new text, it will beep and show the icon for a new SMS on my screen. So far, so good. But after about an hour or even earlier, the icon just disappears again, although the SMS has not been opened.

This means that that unless I check my messages every few minutes I won't see any notification on the start screen and have to hunt through my inbox to see whether I have any new texts (quite annoying!).

I have tried battery pull and restarts, but nothing has changed. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

Thank you! :smileysurprised:)

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: icon for new text messages disappears before new text is even opened

Hi Shaneyron,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community.

By the new SMS icon, are you referring to the red splat notification for new SMS messages? If so, this could be caused by an issue with the SMS Messages database. I suggest backing up your data, then clearing your SMS Messages database and then testing to see if the issue is resolved before restoring any messages from the backup file. This article has the steps to clear the database. "How to clear the user content databases from the BlackBerry smartphone" KB10167

Please backup all your data first, as this process will remove all your SMS messages. Here is how to backup. "How to back up BlackBerry smartphone data using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows" KB12487

Please make sure to test with new SMS messages before restoring any messages from your backup.

Let me know if that helps.

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Thank you, Frankie.

by "new SMS icon" I was referring to the whole symbol that usually comes up when you receive a new text (on the upper part of the screen) , the yellow speech balloon with the red star thingy. They both appear when receiving a text and then both disappear quite quickly, before opening anything. Same for the red star in the main menu at the bottom of the screen, on the text messages icon. So basically nothing indicates then that there are any new texts at all.

If that information doesn't change anything as far as your suggested solution to the problem goes, I will try and clear the SMS database, as you explained.

Cheers,

Shaneyron

New Contributor

I just tried your instructions, Frankie, and it didn't make any difference whatsoever. Does anyone know how to fix this? It is really annoying that one of the most basic functions of the phone doesn' work at all.